need help! 1983 kz 650 bobber

More
08 Aug 2016 23:52 #737950 by bencanant
need help! 1983 kz 650 bobber was created by bencanant
so i got this 83 kz 650 the other day, a cool bike but came with no air filter or air box and its got the 4 in 1 pipes on it. the recent owner put them on and never rejetted the bike at all. i want to put pods on the bike because an air box wont fit due to all the molestation of the bike. ive talked to bike mechanics all around and they have no clue where to even start. what should i rejet it to with the aftermarket pipes and pods? any other alternatives are welcome. thank you, semper fi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2016 06:58 - 09 Aug 2016 07:39 #737976 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic need help! 1983 kz 650 bobber
The 83 650-csr came stock with Mikuni BS32 cv carburetors, so those can be difficult to tune for individual pod filters. the change in air pressure causes the vacuum slides to rise & they move independently of each other, so they are more sensitive than mechanical slide carburetors. I would get VM24 carbs from a 81 or earlier 650.

In general go up 1-2 sizes on the main jets for each change and increase the pilot jets 1 size (or maybe 2 for cv carbs???). and maybe raise the jet needles if possible by 1 clip position (yours may not have the grooves, so add shims).
Z1Enterprises.com doesn't list jets for the 83 650, so either ask or try some other place.

When the filters are installed, make sure they don't block any of the openings. If the bike doesn't run very good, maybe try adding extenders between the filters & carbs or fab a box to fit around the filters. these are just general suggestions. I have no idea how to proceed exactly.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2016 07:39 by martin_csr.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
09 Aug 2016 09:11 #737986 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic need help! 1983 kz 650 bobber
A reasonable starting point is up 3 sizes on the main and one up on the pilots, and lift the needles. Get real pods, not those dimestore Emgo junkers. You very well may have to play further with the mains but that should get you in the ballpark.