Review

More
03 Aug 2016 15:36 #737294 by R9matth11
Replied by R9matth11 on topic Review
The reason I'm thinking about doing is because I can't get it to idle. And I have the air box but I'm missing the filter piece so I cut a piece plastic and two plastic tubes and put two air pods go it and can't seem to get it dial in. I was told when I got the bike the carburetor was rebuilt but I'm almost thinking about rebuild them my self again. But wondering if I need bigger jets because of the pods?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
03 Aug 2016 15:43 #737295 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Review

R9matth11 wrote: The reason I'm thinking about doing is because I can't get it to idle. And I have the air box but I'm missing the filter piece so I cut a piece plastic and two plastic tubes and put two air pods go it and can't seem to get it dial in. I was told when I got the bike the carburetor was rebuilt but I'm almost thinking about rebuild them my self again. But wondering if I need bigger jets because of the pods?

Well..., we need to know more details so we can try to help with your question. Please state the year and model of your KZ, and list any modifications. Oh, and if it is a twin (two cylinder) as implied by your 2 to 1 description?

Thanks.

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
03 Aug 2016 16:19 #737300 by R9matth11
It a 1980 kawasaki kz440a all I done was new chain sproket, handlebars and side mirror, with led taillight. And fix the air box with pods. Ithe won't let me add a picture.

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
03 Aug 2016 16:45 #737305 by Kray-Z
If it won't idle (at all, that is), then the problem isn't likely because of the pods or air box issues. Even if it doesn't idle smoothly, it should still idle....check the ignition timing and put in new spark plugs, if you haven't done so already. It is futile to chase carburetor issues if the ignition system isn't healthy. And so you know, changing jets and or needle adjustments should barely affect the idle, especially the main jest, as they are mostly responsible for 3/4 and higher throttle openings.

I'm going to guess your carburetors need disassembly and a thorough cleaning - then they need to be set up to the specifications in the factory (i.e. Kawasaki) service manual for your KZ440 - I wouldn't bother with a Haynes , Clymer, or similar manual for stock engine carburetor tuning advice.

Many motorcycle dealers and some private bike shops refuse to work on older carburetors these days (especially when quality parts are difficult or impossible to obtain for them), or charge exuberant prices, but I often suggest you could seek out the services of a reputable small engine repair shop (places that fix lawn mowers, tillers, and riding mower tractors) for this work. At least they are familiar with basic carburetors and have the ability to do a good job of cleaning them. Phone a few and ask. Take the carbs and the FSM to them and they might be able to clean and set your carbs for you at a reasonable cost....

Then re-install the carbs, and by all means, stick to the stock air box and filters if you can. Really, on a stock engine, even one with an aftermarket exhaust system, there is no practical reason not to.

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
03 Aug 2016 16:50 #737307 by Kray-Z

R9matth11 wrote: It a 1980 kawasaki kz440a all I done was new chain sproket, handlebars and side mirror, with led taillight. And fix the air box with pods. Ithe won't let me add a picture.

Oh, if you want to add pictures from a computer, try e-mailing the digital photos to yourself by right clicking on the image file, then select "send to...mail recipient" then select either medium or small file size. Copy the e-mail attachment version of your photos to your computer somewhere, then add those to the forum message. The reason why it won't let you upload your photo's is because the file size is much too large...

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Aug 2016 17:11 #737309 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Review

Kray-Z wrote:

swest wrote: Other makes were going DOHC while Honda stuck with their SOHC design. I bought my Z1 and never looked back.
Steve

The reason why Honda continued with the SOHC 750 for such a long time after it's prime (after it had been eclipsed by the Z1), and in fact why during the early - mid 70's let all of their motorcycle product development stagnate behind the other 3 Jap. brands, was because nearly all of their R&D efforts were going into producing the first Civic car. Once the Civic project was done, Honda engineers quickly developed the DOHC 4- valve head design from their racing only RC series four strokes for the 750, 900, and CBX and beat Suzuki and Kawasaki to it by 2 to 5 years.

Unfortunately for Honda, their dated and inefficient 4 - valve design wasn't nearly as good as Suzuki's...it took many more years for other builders to catch up with the Suzuki's TSCC technological advantages...that 4 V chamber design is still one of the best, even today.

Not to hijack this thread but I will say this then leave it be. I got my son a 83 Suzuki 750E. It had a 4 valve head. The cams rode on lifter forks with adjuster screws and lock nuts. I showed him how to adjust the valves and found two screws had come out and were laying in the head. I put them back in but soon after two came out again. The bike ran but two valves in their cylinders weren't opening. The valve cover gasket was rubber like the Honda's, (I liked that) so I told him to find the screws and handed him a magnet. He gave up a few minutes later and left it open. He decided he didn't want to stay home anymore and left. I put the cover back on, there it sat for 10 years!
I let it go for scrap. Big mistake. Could have parted it out on eBay.
That's it, continue on.
Steve

More
03 Aug 2016 18:28 #737323 by R9matth11
Thanks everyone for all them timely written replys. After all this is decided to stick with the stock carbs I thought it was just easier to get it running with a single. And BTW what fsm mean?
The following user(s) said Thank You: missionkz

More
03 Aug 2016 18:45 #737325 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Review
FSM = Kawasaki FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Aug 2016 19:25 #737331 by SWest