Review

More
02 Aug 2016 23:25 #737166 by R9matth11
Review was created by R9matth11
Has anyone came up with a 2 to 1 carburetor review. I'm thinking about doing it but I can't find out any review how it dose at over 55

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2016 11:27 #737239 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Review
Personally,
I can't think of many, if any, reasons why someone would do this unless they think they have a much better handle on the difficult task of engineering and implementing, normally aspirated induction systems, ....then the many fabulous engineers from the factory with decades of experience behind them.
Seems like a stressful and cantankerous way to customize a bike and it's ready to go engine.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
03 Aug 2016 11:46 - 03 Aug 2016 11:49 #737244 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Review
I'm going to hold my opinion, as I can't say I know enough about induction theory to attempt to judge what someone else wants to try out. Here is why I say this:

Back in the mid- 80's, some friends were into sports car closed course and "rally" racing with Datsun 280Z's and 510's (don't ever underestimate how fast a rally racing 510 could go!). The big ticket with induction modifications with them was using side draft SU carbs in place of "inferior" downdraft carbs. After all, that is what Nissan was doing with the factory backed racing teams. At the same time, the motorcycle world was all abuzz with new engine designs, particularly the 85 Yamaha line with the FZ750 and V-Max that used superior downdraft induction systems! O.k..... :huh:

I also had a phone conversation with a CBX owner that had made an intake manifold so he could replace the six carbs on his bike with one dual throat side draft Weber, and he claimed it worked really well....

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....
Last edit: 03 Aug 2016 11:49 by Kray-Z. Reason: typo

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Aug 2016 13:03 #737255 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Review
Try tuning the carbs on a 70's Rolls Royce. :pinch: :S
Steve

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
03 Aug 2016 13:22 #737258 by Kray-Z

swest wrote: Try tuning the carbs on a 70's Rolls Royce. :pinch: :S
Steve

Ha - ha!!! :laugh: No, quite alright, I'm good, thanks anyway.... :silly:

I heard a comment once that an engine tune up on one of those (and the e-type Jaguar, too) was something like 30 hours?

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
03 Aug 2016 13:27 #737260 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Review

Kray-Z wrote: ..............The big ticket with induction modifications with them was using side draft SU carbs in place of "inferior" downdraft carbs. ............

My Austin Healey 3000 had SU HD8 carbs mounted directly above the exhaust manifolds. On hot days after driving in the city gasoline would boil in them. :laugh: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Aug 2016 13:40 #737262 by SWest
The studio I worked for 14 years bought one. It was in the shop more than on the road. They couldn't get the carbs right. I put them on my mercury styx and dialed them in. Also found some wiring issues. I took back to them but Bernd said "keep it for a couple weeks, I don't trust it." Met the school bus every day in a Rolls. :woohoo: Too bad it was baby SHT yellow. :sick: That car would MOVE. They sold it soon after. :dry:
Steve

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
03 Aug 2016 14:34 - 03 Aug 2016 14:41 #737275 by Kray-Z

swest wrote: Try tuning the carbs on a 70's Rolls Royce. :pinch: :S
Steve

For some completely irrational reasons, I was smitten by Honda's six cylinder CBX after first seeing (and HEARING) one back when I was 15 yrs. old. Holy SH!T - six cylinders WIDE!!!! Maybe also partly due to the stunning blonde girl the guy had on the back, too? I dunno, maybe...

I can tell you what I didn't think was so hot - servicing the dam thing! Six carbs (even as good as those CV Keihins are), 5 liters of oil, 24 valves....4 camshafts???? :S And did I mention chains - 5 of them! There is even a tiny roller chain to drive the oil pumps - wait a minute - oil pump(s) - as in more than one!!!!!???? :silly:

I remember the sinking feeling I got when I first took it to the local Honda dealer for a complete tune up (I was 17 at the time)...1.5 pay checks - gone in a single day! Ouch!

Last edit: 03 Aug 2016 14:41 by Kray-Z. Reason: add -in

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Aug 2016 14:41 #737278 by SWest
4 camshafts? Our 1300 has two doesn't it? :huh:
Steve

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
03 Aug 2016 14:54 #737282 by Kray-Z

swest wrote: 4 camshafts? Our 1300 has two doesn't it? :huh:
Steve

Yep, one of the reasons I had to abandon my Hondas as toys to tinker with...complexity and expense for no apparent reason. I might be crazy, but I can't claim to have enough money to be considered "eccentric" :laugh:

I figure building a complete KZ1000J / GPz1100 engine takes less time and about a 1/4 of the money a cylinder head on a CBX does....

The CBX intake and exhaust camshafts are linked near the middle (drive sprockets) with a type of universal joint connector so the cams can flex slightly in the head. Honda was apparently concerned that such long cams in an air cooled engine would have cam bearing wear and clearance issues, and be too expensive to make as well.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Aug 2016 15:03 #737286 by SWest
Other makes were going DOHC while Honda stuck with their SOHC design. I bought my Z1 and never looked back.
Steve

• Kray-Z
  • User
More
03 Aug 2016 15:15 #737290 by Kray-Z

swest wrote: Other makes were going DOHC while Honda stuck with their SOHC design. I bought my Z1 and never looked back.
Steve

The reason why Honda continued with the SOHC 750 for such a long time after it's prime (after it had been eclipsed by the Z1), and in fact why during the early - mid 70's let all of their motorcycle product development stagnate behind the other 3 Jap. brands, was because nearly all of their R&D efforts were going into producing the first Civic car. Once the Civic project was done, Honda engineers quickly developed the DOHC 4- valve head design from their racing only RC series four strokes for the 750, 900, and CBX and beat Suzuki and Kawasaki to it by 2 to 5 years.

Unfortunately for Honda, their dated and inefficient 4 - valve design wasn't nearly as good as Suzuki's...it took many more years for other builders to catch up with the Suzuki's TSCC technological advantages...that 4 V chamber design is still one of the best, even today.