Carb boots leak repair

More
15 Jul 2016 14:28 #735064 by Dwoolley
Carb boots leak repair was created by Dwoolley
I just got an 1982 kawasaki kz440 ltd. I'm pretty new to bikes and I'm on a bit of a budget. I know I have a air leak in the carb boots on the intake side. I've looked up the cost of new boots and it's pretty pricey. I'm wondering what you guys think of the idea of putting a small layer of JB Weld over my carb boots to seal the leak. I know it's probably not as good as replacing them, but do you guys think it will fix the leak until I can get new boots?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2016 15:13 #735066 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Carb boots leak repair
Some have tried silicone but it never lasts and have never read anyone recommending anything but replacement for other than a very temp fix.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
15 Jul 2016 15:14 #735067 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic Carb boots leak repair
If you can get the OEM air boots... do it. You don't know how much longer they will be available.

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

More
15 Jul 2016 15:37 #735069 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Carb boots leak repair
As you are looking for a temporary fix only until you can gather the cash to replace them, there's a couple of things you can try.
Note: I said "try" since we don't know where your leaks are?
Are they cracked around the middle and leaking or are they distorted or warped and not sealing to the cylinder wall (common)?

In any event, I'm not sure how well JB Weld would work here since it's a flexible surface that is clamped snugly to the carburetors. JB Weld dries hard so it's unlikely to be a solution here.

If you are finding leaks AT the cylinder wall mating surface:
Buy a sheet of gasket maker from your local auto parts store. It'll be around $10-$15 for a sheet. Then trace your carb mounts onto it and use a razor knife to cut-out the shape. Fit this custom made gasket between the carb mount and the cylinder head. It will fill any minor voids or leaky surfaces. - I know this works as I've done it myself in a pinch with a "new to me" bike.
Make sure you put your carb mounts back on the exact cylinder you took them off and in the same orientation - if you look at the mating surface side, you'll see how the cylinder head made an impression on it. Mixing them up or their orientation will likely result in more leaky-ness.

If the body of the carb mount is cracked badly and leaking, you are probably S.O.L. since wrapping them in anything is unlikely to solve the leaks. I'd suggest something like vinyl tape but the presence of gasoline while running would likely turn that into a big gooey mess.

I know guys that have tried RTV sealant, smeared over the suspected leaky areas but again, gasoline will make it a mess because RTV is not gas-resistant (unless they make some new stuff now?).

In the end, you're looking at new carb mounts one way or another and even if you manage a temporary repair today, you'd be wise to order a new set tomorrow. Maybe ask the significant other or parents or anyone that knows you're good for it; an early birthday present so you can keep your classic ride rolling! :)

More
15 Jul 2016 17:36 #735077 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Carb boots leak repair
I wonder if plasti-dip might work? It would need it cover the surface that mates to the heads an all over the outside, but none on the inside. Is that stuff impervious to ethanol?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
15 Jul 2016 19:17 #735082 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Carb boots leak repair
Plasti-dip won't work most likely because gas disolves it immediately. Actually about anything disolves it. I had it on some tools and just handling with sweaty hands disolved it right away. JB weld won't stick to rubber as previously mentioned. Not a lot can be done with intake manifold boots that are cracked. On my old 1974 H2 triple years ago someone suggested super glue to repair cracks in the airbox boots (airbox to carb boots). This worked, but I rarely ever even look at that motorcycle let alone ride it. It may be worth a try on the intake manifold boots.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
15 Jul 2016 19:43 - 15 Jul 2016 20:07 #735083 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Carb boots leak repair
While awaiting new replacement carb holders, could try ThreeBond, as it supposedly remains semi-flexible while being both heat and gasoline resistant.

Click here > www.magicracing.com/ThreeBond-1184-Liqui...-1194-1104_p_84.html

Click here > www.lowbrowcustoms.com/three-bond-1194-l...sealant-51-9010.html

Am vaguely recalling that a few owners have reported longer service from ThreeBond than with other sealants such as silicone based products. There are sealants that are heat resistant and sealants that are gasoline resistant. But it's difficult to find a sealant that's both heat and gasoline resistant. I suspect that oil resistant likely isn't the same as gasoline resistant.

Here are a few topics resulting from a forum search using key words "ThreeBond Carb Holders"
Click here > www.kzrider.com/forum/search?query=three...te=all&childforums=1

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 15 Jul 2016 20:07 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1