Still Leaking Fuel ?

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
14 Jul 2016 09:25 #734916 by kzdcw
Still Leaking Fuel ? was created by kzdcw
Originally the Stock fuel petcock lever on my 77' KZ1000A was very hard to turn. So after reading a few Posts on correcting the problem, I took the petcock apart and purchased a K&L o-ring rebuild kit. I was also noticing a little fuel puddling under the bike too ?

I dis-assembled the petcock and tried to polish the inside of it with a dremel buffing attachment. I also removed the white plastic fuel valve and tried to polish the outside of it too though it didn't look all that bad. I re-fitted everything with Silicon grease and replaced All the o-rings from the K&L kit. I don't know if the Silicon grease is gas resistant ? Now the Petcock is Much, much easier to turn. Bike sat for a few days on it center stand and petcock turned off , no more fuel found observed under bike.

So now after riding the bike, this is what I'm finding. The fuel valve again is hard to turn and I'm seeing fuel found under bike after sitting a day. I don't think the float levels are not adjusted correctly for I have set them before with the clear tube method. Also when I observe fuel under bike, the fuel valve is Turned Off and the bike is on the Center Stand ?

Do you think it's time to Replace the Fuel Petcock ? Are these replacement KZ1000 petcocks any good they sell on the internet or should I step up and purchase a Pingle ?

77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
14 Jul 2016 09:30 #734918 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Still Leaking Fuel ?
I forgot to Ask, what Pingle if I decide to purchase it , do I need ?

77' KZ1000A

More
14 Jul 2016 13:10 #734958 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Still Leaking Fuel ?
If it were me,I'd be contacting Pingle for their recommendations.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
15 Jul 2016 04:32 #735005 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Still Leaking Fuel ?
I will but has anyone used these Reproduction Fuel Petcocks that are on the market ? If they are not providing good service, then definitely Pingle.

77' KZ1000A

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Jul 2016 05:17 #735007 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Still Leaking Fuel ?
I have one from z1partsinc/ It's important the tank is clean. Rust can get in the valve sides and cause leaks.
The old one or these can be cleaned up but it's a PITA
Steve
z1parts.net/kawasaki-z1-900-kz900-kz1000...nal-style-51023-043/