1984 kz1000p carb suggestions

More
27 Jun 2016 13:29 #733060 by Zarek
1984 kz1000p carb suggestions was created by Zarek
Hey guys I have an 84 with pod filters and stock exhaust. I wanna remove the baffles from the exhaust and i suspect I will need to jet my carbs. Anyone have any advice? What size jets etc. Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Jun 2016 13:50 #733064 by SWest

More
27 Jun 2016 15:19 #733072 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 1984 kz1000p carb suggestions
Or better yet, leave the freaking pipes alone and sell the bike to someone who will appreciate it and use the money for a downpayment on a Harley.

More
27 Jun 2016 20:45 - 27 Jun 2016 20:48 #733100 by Zarek
Replied by Zarek on topic 1984 kz1000p carb suggestions
Maybe because I spent the money to buy the bike, so I can do what I want to it? Is that acceptable to you? If you wanna be a purist, more power to you. I can appreciate a bone stock gem as much as a fully modded beast, but if you don't like the direction I'm going with my bike, how about you move yourself along? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2016 20:48 by Zarek.

More
27 Jun 2016 20:46 #733101 by Zarek

swest wrote: Why not just drill them?
Steve

If you can point me in the right direction as far as a write up, that would be awesome!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Jun 2016 21:11 #733102 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 1984 kz1000p carb suggestions
I've had my eye on a KZP for cheap. $750 It's gone now but they come up from time to time. I'd like to build a street fighter with modern brakes and suspension. With a Z1 flavor. Some here are just FOXY. The frames are beefier than my Z1 and it won't be a "bobber."
Depot has long drills made for pulling wire. 18" or so. I used them in my trade. I was suggesting using one to open the center of the baffle for better flow. Maybe a 1/2". Too much and you'll lose ponies.
When guys hack, bob or "cafe" their bike, I move on. Not a purest, I just can't see ruining a good survivor.
It's your bike so do what you want with it.
Steve

More
27 Jun 2016 21:52 - 29 Jun 2016 08:01 #733104 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1984 kz1000p carb suggestions

Zarek wrote: Hey guys I have an 84 with pod filters and stock exhaust. I wanna remove the baffles from the exhaust and i suspect I will need to jet my carbs. Anyone have any advice? What size jets etc. Thanks in advance

As to whether or not the baffles are removable, the parts diagram doesn't show the baffles as being separate components.

Click here > Parts diagram

If the muffler ends must be sawed off to access the baffles, I don't know how difficult it would then be to remove the baffles.

What sizes are the existing jets, and how do they compare with stock sizes?

The existing pilot jets -- whatever size(s) they happen to be -- may continue producing very similar results after removal of the baffles. Would rely on spark plug readings incident to throttle chop testing for determining optimal main jet size.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Jun 2016 08:01 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
29 Jun 2016 06:50 #733239 by Zarek
Stock carbs

More
29 Jun 2016 07:01 #733241 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 1984 kz1000p carb suggestions

Zarek wrote: Maybe because I spent the money to buy the bike, so I can do what I want to it? Is that acceptable to you? If you wanna be a purist, more power to you. I can appreciate a bone stock gem as much as a fully modded beast, but if you don't like the direction I'm going with my bike, how about you move yourself along? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

No, that's not acceptable to me. Idiots riding around on loud bikes create ill will among the general populous, and then the pissed off people disrespect all bikers, including me.

More
29 Jun 2016 08:22 #733249 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1984 kz1000p carb suggestions

Zarek wrote: Stock carbs

Am guessing 26mm manual slide Mikuni. (But might be 28mm). Can determine by measuring diameter of main carb bore on the carb's "engine side." The diameter usually measures slightly larger than the designated size.

In event that the baffle-less mufflers become open megaphones, I suspect that the degraded performance will be disappointing, notwithstanding the excessive noise which will likely become tiresome and annoying to the rider. It will also be very uncomfortable for any riding companions to follow at a reasonably close distance behind. And rider's earplugs will become more important than ever.

Another downside of open megs is inability to listen to the internal mechanical sounds of the running engine, such as when needed to more accurately diagnose the source of unwanted sounds from such things as the overhead cam components or exhaust clamp/gasket leaks or pistons or lower end, etc.

Except for the sole purpose of attention-garnering noise, I can think of no other reason to go with open megs.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Jun 2016 08:50 #733256 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic 1984 kz1000p carb suggestions

Patton wrote:

Zarek wrote: Stock carbs

Am guessing 26mm manual slide Mikuni. (But might be 28mm). Can determine by measuring diameter of main carb bore on the carb's "engine side." The diameter usually measures slightly larger than the designated size.

In event that the baffle-less mufflers become open megaphones, I suspect that the degraded performance will be disappointing, notwithstanding the excessive noise which will likely become tiresome and annoying to the rider. It will also be very uncomfortable for any riding companions to follow at a reasonably close distance behind. And rider's earplugs will become more important than ever.

Another downside of open megs is inability to listen to the internal mechanical sounds of the running engine, such as when needed to more accurately diagnose the source of unwanted sounds from such things as the overhead cam components or exhaust clamp/gasket leaks or pistons or lower end, etc.

Except for the sole purpose of attention-garnering noise, I can think of no other reason to go with open megs.

Great comments!

Is there anything other/better than fiberglass wrapping to muffle a V&H Street baffle better?
I like a quieter exhaust, but the two V&H wraps I put on my baffle didn't last long before they blew through. The first one I wrapped with hanger wire, and had three evenly-spaced hose clamps around the second.
Wrap-free is great when the horses run-free, but other times its just noise. :S

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Jun 2016 09:37 #733268 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 1984 kz1000p carb suggestions
Like Miller said so long ago, "you're learning." B)
Steve