KZ 1000P Stalls at Stop

More
14 Apr 2016 10:26 #720930 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic KZ 1000P Stalls at Stop
Does the filter have a paper or metal element?
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bl_francis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2016 11:00 #720936 by bl_francis
Replied by bl_francis on topic KZ 1000P Stalls at Stop

pete greek1 wrote: Does the filter have a paper or metal element?
Pete

Metal

1987 KZ1000 Police

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Apr 2016 14:38 #720981 by SWest

More
16 Apr 2016 20:08 #721330 by bl_francis

jakedude wrote: Check your spark plugs. If you are too rich they will be fouled black.

Here they are. What should I do now?

Attachment FullSizeRender-2.jpg not found

Attachment FullSizeRender(1).jpg not found

1987 KZ1000 Police
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Apr 2016 20:42 #721337 by SWest

More
17 Apr 2016 07:14 #721383 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic KZ 1000P Stalls at Stop
First, Steve is correct and you should start by checking and adjusting your valves, So if you don't have a service manual, buy one, and keep up on your basic maintenance. If you don't, you are just wasting your time by owning a KZ1000p and the time of every active participant on this forum.

Having said that, you are obviously running very rich. I would start by cleaning and checking the gap on your plugs. Just use a small wire brush and some brake cleaner. I wouldn't buy new plugs until you get your carb problem figured out. Next, I would adjust the pilot screws on your carbs. Screw them all the way in gently. Just get them lightly finger tight, and then back them out two and a half turns. Put your bike on it's center stand, put it in neutral, put a box fan between the front wheel and the motor and start it up. Let it warm up for a minute or two. Then quickly rev he throttle and drop it. The RPM should quickly drop to idle. If it drops slowly then tighten the pilot screws, a half turn and try it again. If you tighten the pilot screws too much when you drop the throttle the rpm will drop below idle for a short time or even die.

Having said the above, you should also balance the carbs. I recommend the tool shown here.
. After balancing the carbs adjust the pilot screws again.

Also make sure the bike isn't flooding. I would do that by putting the petcock on prime with the bike off and then wait at least half an hour if there is gas in the air box or dripping out of the carbs then your floats are stopping the fuel when the float bowls are full. If that is the case I recommend you change your oil. Likely you have gas in the oil because when you flood the carbs, gas also flow into your cylinders and gets in your oil.

Aren't you glad you asked?

So again...
1) adjust the valves.
2) clean your spark plugs.
3) make sure you are not flooding
4) if you are, change the oil and fix your carb floats and float needles.
5) adjust the pilot screws
6) balance the carbs
7) ride
8) lather rinse and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
9) get new spark plugs.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

More
17 Apr 2016 10:05 #721410 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic KZ 1000P Stalls at Stop
You should probably avoid using a metal wire brush to clean spark plugs.
The porcelain insulator is like a fine grinding stone and will grind the metal off the wire bristles....depositing metal in the insulator, creating a high voltage path to ground, reducing spark efficiency. Etc.
Carborundum grit blasting is OK.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
17 Apr 2016 23:50 - 17 Apr 2016 23:51 #721517 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ 1000P Stalls at Stop

bl_francis wrote: . . . seemed to be running just fine last week when I went on my long ride. . . .

Would perform clear tube tests to assure fuel levels are within specs.

Even where all other carb settings are otherwise perfect, a too high fuel level can produce an excessively rich mixture.

It might be that too high fuel levels have gradually permitted the spark plugs to load up with carbon and soot (resulting from uncombusted gasoline) which eventually has caused failure of combustion or partial failure of combustion in one or more cylinders.

Sometimes, brand new spark plugs will temporarily mask the over-rich condition by allowing seemingly acceptable performance for a few miles, or longer, depending on just how overly rich the too high fuel level is producing.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 17 Apr 2016 23:51 by Patton.

More
19 Apr 2016 07:01 #721726 by bl_francis

Patton wrote:

bl_francis wrote: . . . seemed to be running just fine last week when I went on my long ride. . . .

Would perform clear tube tests to assure fuel levels are within specs.

Even where all other carb settings are otherwise perfect, a too high fuel level can produce an excessively rich mixture.

It might be that too high fuel levels have gradually permitted the spark plugs to load up with carbon and soot (resulting from uncombusted gasoline) which eventually has caused failure of combustion or partial failure of combustion in one or more cylinders.

Sometimes, brand new spark plugs will temporarily mask the over-rich condition by allowing seemingly acceptable performance for a few miles, or longer, depending on just how overly rich the too high fuel level is producing.

Good Fortune! :)

I will perform those clear tube tests on each carb. I've done that before so I know how to do it. What you're saying sounds about right.

1987 KZ1000 Police

More
26 Apr 2016 19:52 #723160 by bl_francis
Feeler gauges and Motion Pro shim tool on order.

1987 KZ1000 Police