Air box to pods! KZ750 twin

More
06 Apr 2016 21:52 #719664 by Ogilvie
Air box to pods! KZ750 twin was created by Ogilvie
Okay, my first bike and my first post. I took my KZ750 CSR to a mechanic for a carb rebuild and to have him convert it to pods. He turned out to be a nightmare. He ended up lighting my brothers bike on fire when he went to pick it up. So I picked my bike up today. The carbs are in pieces. That part I think i can handle but when the air box was removed I was left with a crank case vent that I believe I will put a filter over. The part I am confused about is the part that came out of the top of the air box. It splits two hoses that each travel to the top of the engine on either side. What on earth is that for and what do I do with it? Thank you in advance for your help!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2016 23:33 #719667 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Air box to pods! KZ750 twin

Ogilvie wrote: Okay, my first bike and my first post. I took my KZ750 CSR to a mechanic for a carb rebuild and to have him convert it to pods. He turned out to be a nightmare. He ended up lighting my brothers bike on fire when he went to pick it up. So I picked my bike up today. The carbs are in pieces. That part I think i can handle but when the air box was removed I was left with a crank case vent that I believe I will put a filter over. The part I am confused about is the part that came out of the top of the air box. It splits two hoses that each travel to the top of the engine on either side. What on earth is that for

Sounds like a crankcase vent pipe which is part of smog control system. You did not say what year your 750 twin is, but it must be newer than my '79 because mine has no such plumbing.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ogilvie

More
07 Apr 2016 05:33 #719684 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Air box to pods! KZ750 twin
The 750-CSR is an 82 model. The hoses are part of the Kawasaki clean air system which can be disabled, usually by connecting the ports with a hose or blocking/plugging the ports.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Apr 2016 07:04 #719710 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Air box to pods! KZ750 twin
Welcome
I'd put the air box back on unless you like working on your bike. The two fittings on the valve cover can be connected together or blocked off.
Sounds like you rescued your bike right in time. One thing about learning how to work on it yourself, you'll know what's going on between your legs. There's some security in that.
Steve

More
07 Apr 2016 08:13 #719716 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Air box to pods! KZ750 twin

swest wrote: Welcome
I'd put the air box back on unless you like working on your bike......

Very good advice. Otherwise plan on becoming a carb guru. Your bike has CV type carbs, and I have never read of an instance where anyone got the rejetting right on them on the first try. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
07 Apr 2016 08:39 #719723 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic Air box to pods! KZ750 twin
Yes, Unless you are a glutton for punishment ditch the pods and put the airbox back on. Once you get it running correctly you can always go back to the pods if you feel the need. The important thing at this point is to get it to a decent baseline.

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

More
08 Apr 2016 14:18 #719901 by J_Rod_
Replied by J_Rod_ on topic Air box to pods! KZ750 twin
If you decide to move to pods, I'd be super interested in buying your old air box ducts. keep me posted.

More
09 Apr 2016 01:49 #720013 by Ogilvie
Replied by Ogilvie on topic Air box to pods! KZ750 twin
First off, thank you all for the help and warm welcomes! Unfortunately the "mechanic" took a sawzall to the air box so pods it is. I think I have it figured out. I put a filter on both parts in question. She Idles great and runs well on the low end but if I get on it it cuts out pretty bad. My guess is that is running lean due to the pods increasing the air. I went up 1 on the jets. I think she just needs to be tuned up. Thoughts? Ideas? I'll upload some photos soon!