High Idle after carb cleaning

More
30 Mar 2016 17:41 #718357 by mangosteen
High Idle after carb cleaning was created by mangosteen
Hey folks,

I know I've read about this before but I wanted to hear from you all before I go fooling around with plugs and such.

After totally disassembling and cleaning my carbs, the bike wants to idle VERY high- around 5000 rpm. I adjusted my throttle cable while I had the tank off, so I thought maybe I overdid it without realizing. I readjusted the cable and it helped a tiny bit, but doesn't seem to be the real issue.

Is this just a vacuum leak? Where are the likely places given the recent work? Everything was reassembled as before. None of the vacuum ports (at least the 4 on top) are plugged, but there is a hose running from #1 to #4 and #2 to #3.

Any ideas are appreciated.

1983 GPz 550

1983 GPz 550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2016 18:03 #718373 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic High Idle after carb cleaning
Did you center the idle control screw (the big knob) when you re-assembled the carbs? If not, it may be holding the slides up too high and have no adjustment travel left to lower them. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
31 Mar 2016 04:21 #718429 by mangosteen
Replied by mangosteen on topic High Idle after carb cleaning

650ed wrote: Did you center the idle control screw (the big knob) when you re-assembled the carbs? If not, it may be holding the slides up too high and have no adjustment travel left to lower them. Ed

I didn't actually remove the idle control knob when I took them apart. Can over loosening the knob cause it to fail?

1983 GPz 550

More
31 Mar 2016 04:47 - 31 Mar 2016 04:47 #718435 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic High Idle after carb cleaning
Sounds like a classic vacuum leek. Start your bike and spray carb cleaner around the carb holders when the revs drop or it dies you have found your leek. How old are your carb holders? They dry out and pull away from the head and develop small cracks. Although it isn't recommended with new holders I always use type 2 gasket sealant when replacing them.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2016 04:47 by GPzMOD750.

More
31 Mar 2016 04:52 #718437 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic High Idle after carb cleaning

mangosteen wrote:

650ed wrote: Did you center the idle control screw (the big knob) when you re-assembled the carbs? If not, it may be holding the slides up too high and have no adjustment travel left to lower them. Ed

I didn't actually remove the idle control knob when I took them apart. Can over loosening the knob cause it to fail?

If the idle control screw is turned counterclockwise near the end of its travel, and if after that the height of the carb slides is set, the idle control screw will no longer be able to lower the slides to reduce the idle rpm. It will be able to increase the rpm by turning it clockwise, but since it is already turned about as far out as it can go it will have very little affect when trying to use it to reduce the rpm. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
31 Mar 2016 06:38 #718454 by Bama704
Replied by Bama704 on topic High Idle after carb cleaning
Try bench syncing the carbs, your slides could be too high. Check each one.

1977 KZ900
Carbs are late model 1975 28mm

More
31 Mar 2016 11:50 #718523 by mangosteen
Replied by mangosteen on topic High Idle after carb cleaning
Thanks for the input, all. I pulled them off again. Inspected the slides, butterfly valves, throttle cable assembly, etc. everything seemed to be in good order.

I put them back on, but this time used winbags to press them firmly towards the carb holders while tightening the clamps. Fired right up and idles and revs better than ever. I think the weight of the carb body itself made it sag a bit last time i tightened things back up, and there was a bit of an air leak. Fingers crossed it stays seated well!

I'd highly recommend winbags to anyone who is often shimming things or doesn't always have a second set of hands around the shop.

Thanks!

Joe

Attachment image.jpeg not found

1983 GPz 550
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Little B