clean vs rebuild vs jet

More
26 Mar 2016 20:11 #717508 by dur65geo
clean vs rebuild vs jet was created by dur65geo
I have a '77 650C and gave it to a shop to put in new pods and fix a carb leak and make them perform. The bike still hesitates (skips,bucks) when I punch the throttle. It cant' be right and they don't get it. How can I explain to them what it needs? They have done well with other issues like electrical so I feel they know but are playing dumb.

thanks from a novice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2016 20:40 - 26 Mar 2016 20:41 #717512 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic clean vs rebuild vs jet
I seriously doubt they are playing dumb. Plan on spending a good deal of time and money having a shop tune the bike to run well with pods, OR plan on becoming intimately familiar with carbs yourself and buying carb parts to rejet for pods. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 26 Mar 2016 20:41 by 650ed.

More
27 Mar 2016 07:00 - 27 Mar 2016 07:05 #717558 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic clean vs rebuild vs jet
To pay a shop to do jetting from scratch (and getting it fully correct), for a major change like pods, would be cost-prohibitive, unless they have a full dyno and wideband exhaust analyzer system. How much would they charge for 24 hours of labor and testing? How about 40 hours?

If they already did it a bunch of times on that same model, with the same exhaust, then they can do it in an hour or two. But without a recipe, it takes a long time, days, even with wideband sensors (along with a lot of experience with using them). Without a wideband, it can take months.

If you aren't doing the work yourself, keep everything stock so there is no guess work on what parts to use.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 07:05 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Mar 2016 07:53 #717570 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic clean vs rebuild vs jet
Pics of plugs? Trial and error getting them right. That you don't want to pay a shop for.
jetsrus.com/
Good place to do research and buy parts among many others. For jets local dealers should have them.
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598262-kz-...-will-it-live#672882
Being new to this it can be daunting but once done, there's no better feeling like knowing what's going on between your legs. B)
Steve