I installed second set of bowl gaskets. Leaking!!!

More
02 Mar 2016 10:48 - 02 Mar 2016 10:50 #713452 by car5car
I don't know what to do. First time I thought I bought bad cheap gaskets.
Spark plugs look ok, so level is most likely normal.
Unfortunately I don't have center stand, maybe carbs only leak on side stand.
thanks.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920
Last edit: 02 Mar 2016 10:50 by car5car.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2016 11:09 #713456 by Nessism
Are you sure it's the gaskets? Most carb overflow situations are because the fuel level is too high in the float bowl due to leaking float needles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
02 Mar 2016 11:14 #713457 by car5car
I understand that level can be too high, but gaskets shouldn't leak anyway. What else can leak above bowl gasket?
I'll check spark plugs again and fuel levels with clear tubes.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920

More
02 Mar 2016 12:55 #713471 by Zephyrrider
Replied by Zephyrrider on topic I installed second set of bowl gaskets. Leaking!!!
Fuel line orings ?

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

More
02 Mar 2016 12:59 #713473 by car5car

Zephyrrider wrote: Fuel line orings ?

Thanks, I'll check them.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920

More
02 Mar 2016 13:03 - 02 Mar 2016 13:19 #713474 by Zephyrrider
Replied by Zephyrrider on topic I installed second set of bowl gaskets. Leaking!!!
Where exactly is the fuel pooling on carbs - dripping or just sitting on carb bowls bottoms ?
Got a WSM to see how your parts should look new .Check your float needles first - magnifying glass job and have a good look inside float needle seats for any crap. Float needles under magnification should be perfectly cone shaped with no apparent wear or indented lines and plunger should move freely.Cheap to replace anyway. If any need cleaning i just give them a good swirl clean with cotton bud and carb cleaner .Just make sure you dont leave any cotton bud or whatever you use in there.There are other ways of doing it but just as long as the seats are clean.Got access to an air compressor ? Do a clear line test of float levels with bike on centre stand.
Checking fuel line orings would be last thing to check and make sure to have diagrams and a camera if you do dismantle them ;)

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2016 13:19 by Zephyrrider.

More
02 Mar 2016 14:09 - 02 Mar 2016 14:12 #713490 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic I installed second set of bowl gaskets. Leaking!!!

car5car wrote: I don't know what to do. First time I thought I bought bad cheap gaskets.
Spark plugs look ok, so level is most likely normal.
Unfortunately I don't have center stand, maybe carbs only leak on side stand.
thanks.

The bowl gasket was never intended to be a fluid seal, if it is leaking there it means the fuel level is too high. If the float and valve is operating properly, the fuel level doesn't reach the top of the bowl.

As normal maintenance, the tips of the float needles should be chucked up in a hand drill and the tip polished with 600 paper until mirror smooth. Chuck the brass seat in the drill and use a Q tip and some chrome polish to smooth the inside surface the needle mates against. If you get these smooth and properly adjust the fuel level, there will ne NO LEAKS even if the petcock is leaking.

Guess how I learned that....

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 02 Mar 2016 14:12 by bountyhunter.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Mar 2016 14:19 #713493 by SWest
A block of wood to make it level as possible, then clear tube test. A smear of grease helps the gaskets seal. Tangs on floats shouldn't be too much on an angle. Bend the arms and make the tangs level again. They're for fine adjustments only. Also check the overflow tubes. They have been known to crack.
Steve

More
02 Mar 2016 14:19 #713495 by jakedude

Zephyrrider wrote: Where exactly is the fuel pooling on carbs - dripping or just sitting on carb bowls bottoms ?
Got a WSM to see how your parts should look new .Check your float needles first - magnifying glass job and have a good look inside float needle seats for any crap. Float needles under magnification should be perfectly cone shaped with no apparent wear or indented lines and plunger should move freely.Cheap to replace anyway. If any need cleaning i just give them a good swirl clean with cotton bud and carb cleaner .Just make sure you dont leave any cotton bud or whatever you use in there.There are other ways of doing it but just as long as the seats are clean.Got access to an air compressor ? Do a clear line test of float levels with bike on centre stand.
Checking fuel line orings would be last thing to check and make sure to have diagrams and a camera if you do dismantle them ;)

+1
Also, are you sure you are not flooding from bad or dirty float needles or seats? Fuel will likely be leaking out the carb intakes. Fuel will also be leaking out of the carb output and into your cylinders. From there it goes into your oil. Is your oil level high or rising? If you have a vacuum petcock, turn it to prime and wait a half hour or so while the engine is off. You will see if it is flooding. If it is, change your oil.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

More
02 Mar 2016 16:59 #713524 by car5car
I left petcock in "prime" position! My fault! Thanks for all responses!
After turning it to "on" leak stopped.
I still see wet bowl very close to gasket, but there is no dripping.
I checked petcock, it was working fine, so gas shouldn't flow in carbs.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920

More
03 Mar 2016 12:31 - 04 Mar 2016 03:29 #713635 by Zephyrrider
Don't be embarrassed mate - years ago we were pushing our guts out trying to start an 1100 Katana at a rally
After quite some time i looked over the riders shoulder - the kill switch was off Glad you found the "problem" - now that was an easy fix
Will your exhaust allow a centrestand - get one if you can - makes life a lot easier for any work :)

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.
Last edit: 04 Mar 2016 03:29 by Zephyrrider.

More
03 Mar 2016 17:04 #713674 by jakedude

car5car wrote: I left petcock in "prime" position! My fault! Thanks for all responses!
After turning it to "on" leak stopped.
I still see wet bowl very close to gasket, but there is no dripping.
I checked petcock, it was working fine, so gas shouldn't flow in carbs.

In my opinion you are still not out of the woods. It should not drip even with the petcock in the prime position. If it does, your float needle is not stopping fuel from entering the float bowl.
The reason you want to turn your petcock to off (non vacuum) or have the lack of vacuum turn your petcock off is to prevent a large amount of fuel from evaporating from your carburetor during short or medium storage times. Think about it. Gravity feeds fuel to your carburetor. As the fuel in the float bowl evaporates through ports in the carburetor the fuel level in the float bowl drops. If it drops low enough, the float and float needle let more fuel in. Wait long enough and you have evaporated the entire tank through your carburetor. That is how the carbs get varnished and require cleaning.
If your float and float needle are not stopping fuel when the petcock is in prime and the bike is not running. Then it is they are not stopping fuel when you are riding the bike. That means your bike can flood during riding. Also, how do you measure the fuel level in the float bowls if the floats and needles are not stopping the fuel?
Some might argue that a slow leak is not a big deal but I would not accept it on my bike.
For long term storage by the way, I disconnect my fuel line and drain my float bowls.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest