carb sync

• Olajoe
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Free at last
More
12 Feb 2016 10:01 - 12 Feb 2016 10:28 #710587 by Olajoe
carb sync was created by Olajoe
What' are the preferred rpms for setting the carbs at? Low idle, just off idle, little bit higher. I tried with and without the inline dampner, with an auxilliary fan and the numbers are only consistent at lower rpms. Crank the throttle and it's another story. I'm thinking the numbers would stabilize at higher rpm but at the risk of too much heat. Also the cylinder head temps from inside to out 2 and 3 vs 1 and 4 are out by about 10-15 degrees. Do you guys jet richer on the inside cylinders? I'm thinking when the bike is actually running against cross winds things should level out some. The bike originally had all same stock jetting. I looked it up, there's no mention of variable jetting. Or perhaps run cooler plugs, but then again I don't see anything about that either. I think as is, it's fine. Just thinking out loud. Fine tuning

Last edit: 12 Feb 2016 10:28 by Olajoe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Feb 2016 10:58 #710588 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic carb sync
At idle, you blip the throttle, let it settle and adjust until you can't get them any closer. If you have a vacuum leak, you have to fix it before they can be synced.
Steve

More
12 Feb 2016 11:05 #710590 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic carb sync
When you sync the carbs you are setting the slide heights to ensure the vacuum at each carb is very close to the same with the engine idling, so this is done with the engine idling (950-1050 rpm). With the slides closed, the vacuum (created by the engine's pistons moving downward) is somewhat contained in front of the carb slides, and this vacuum is then measured using the vacuum ports (at least on many KZcarbs) on the carb holders. At idle the amount of open space under the closed slides through which air can be drawn into the carbs is very small, so tiny adjustments of the slide heights has a fairly large affect on the vacuum level. Once you open the throttle the slides raise up, so tiny differences in the slide height have much less affect on vacuum since the openings under the slides is so great. Vacuum differences between carbs when the throttle is open may be attributed to factors other than the slide height, so trying to sync carbs with the engine running at higher than idle speed does not work. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Olajoe
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Free at last
More
12 Feb 2016 11:37 - 12 Feb 2016 11:40 #710594 by Olajoe
Replied by Olajoe on topic carb sync
Have done them a few times and wanted to see how they were holding in relation to the amount of riding. It was a little bit off but according to the record book it's seen good miles since it was last done. The bike equipped with the stock pipes were getting 45+mpg so it shouldn't have been far off. Now jetted for the kerkers its mpgs have dropped but not enough to be alarmed. I'm sure it'll be okay for awhile. Thanks guys.

Last edit: 12 Feb 2016 11:40 by Olajoe.