How Many Turns for the Idle Mixing Screws on KZP?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Mar 2016 08:31 #717099 by SWest
BTW, the color tune can lie to you. I adjusted until it was blue but the bike wouldn't run for SHT. I readjusted to when the first color appeared then listened for a miss. Got it right that time.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: bl_francis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2016 10:16 #717118 by theApehouse
Replied by theApehouse on topic How Many Turns for the Idle Mixing Screws on KZP?
Is it just me or is something a miss here? You said it runs rich when it's cold outside? Shouldn't the opposite be true? Engines require more gas when cold, thus needing the choke circuit engaged.
And out of curiosity, are you checking the spark plugs after you take it out for a run?
The mixture screws mainly affects the pilot circuit. On a KZP the starting point should be 2 1/2 turns. I cheat and use an o2 sensor to fine tune mine. They end up at different settings but are in the general ballpark of each other.

1987 KZ1000P, dynatek 2.2 coils

www.youtube.com/channel/UC3VtY1XWwKH3zK2trI2Hz1w

More
24 Mar 2016 11:17 - 24 Mar 2016 11:18 #717131 by car5car

theApehouse wrote: I cheat and use an o2 sensor to fine tune mine. .

Did you weld bangs in each pipe? That would be very smart. More details please.
I was adjusting Power Commander map on Harley with O2 sensor.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920
Last edit: 24 Mar 2016 11:18 by car5car.

More
24 Mar 2016 11:44 #717134 by theApehouse
Replied by theApehouse on topic How Many Turns for the Idle Mixing Screws on KZP?

car5car wrote: Did you weld bangs in each pipe? That would be very smart. More details please.

Yes, exactly. I had a friend install 1 on each pipe, right outta the head, maybe 8-10 inches down. It ruins the shiny mufflers and looks totally Frankenstein-ish, but I purposely left my old KZP all rode beaten and worn(like the old Blues Brothers mobile). It's a great running rebuilt machine on the inside, but you'd never know it by looking at it.
I plug a wideband sensor, one pipe at a time, and use an Innovative LM-2 to read. I love it. I can also mount the reader on the handlebars and take it out for a ride and see exactly how it does at all precentages of throttle. The trick is, IMHO, is not to get caught up on the numbers too much. If it runs great, and there's no major red flags, just let it be. And ride the heck outta that thing!

More
24 Mar 2016 14:52 #717158 by car5car

theApehouse wrote:

car5car wrote: Did you weld bangs in each pipe? That would be very smart. More details please.

Yes, exactly. I had a friend install 1 on each pipe, right outta the head, maybe 8-10 inches down. It ruins the shiny mufflers and looks totally Frankenstein-ish, but I purposely left my old KZP all rode beaten and worn(like the old Blues Brothers mobile). It's a great running rebuilt machine on the inside, but you'd never know it by looking at it.
I plug a wideband sensor, one pipe at a time, and use an Innovative LM-2 to read. I love it. I can also mount the reader on the handlebars and take it out for a ride and see exactly how it does at all precentages of throttle. The trick is, IMHO, is not to get caught up on the numbers too much. If it runs great, and there's no major red flags, just let it be. And ride the heck outta that thing!

Super!!! You can choose perfect jets! You can drill holes in bang plugs and install some chrome covers.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Mar 2016 14:53 #717159 by SWest

More
24 Mar 2016 15:38 #717173 by Nessism
2.5 turns open on the pilot screws is the standard starting point. Tweak them to achieve the highest idle and if the idle doesn't change when turning the screws, leave them at 2.5.

For you guys that really want to get down and dirty here is a link to a procedure created by Mr. Koolaid Kid, a former member here. members.dslextreme.com/users/storageclif...ture_on_CV_Carbs.pdf

More
24 Mar 2016 16:36 - 24 Mar 2016 16:37 #717183 by theApehouse

swest wrote: Don't they usually have the BUNG after the collector?
Steve

I believe it depends on the application. If installing an o2 sensor to give constant info to an ECU or FI system then a single o2 sensor in the 'communal' exhaust stream is the way to go. I wanted to be able to read each cylinder individually, and the general rule of thumb is, as close to head as possible for most accurate readings. If mounting an o2 sensor that will stay in the exhaust at all times, the trick is to make sure it isn't in a position where it won't collect condensation on it.

Last edit: 24 Mar 2016 16:37 by theApehouse.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Mar 2016 17:14 #717187 by SWest

More
25 Mar 2016 08:47 #717289 by theApehouse

swest wrote: Thus at the 4:00 or 8:00 position?
Steve

As i understand it, yes. On a horizontal run 10-2 is suppose to be best spots. On a vertical section pointing down so nothing settles on tip.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Mar 2016 09:00 #717290 by SWest
I think you're right. On the bottom there's more chance of fouling the sensor.
Steve