New versus Rebuilt Carbs

More
16 Oct 2015 12:23 #694782 by Vintage3
New versus Rebuilt Carbs was created by Vintage3
Hi,
Just a quick question. Are brand new carbs less temperamental than thoroughly rebuilt and cleaned carbs on start up for a bike that sits a lot? Assume everything else on bike is fine. In response if you could let me know what you consider thorough too for the rebuild for the comparison as this would be helpful. My guess here is the answer would be yes. Rough starts would likely be due to old gas, gummed carbs or dirt from gas in carbs, yes?

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2015 12:29 #694783 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New versus Rebuilt Carbs
You need to tell us what carbs you are dealing with. For example - rebuilding VM24SS carbs is not necessary (unless some one damaged something when fiddling with them) since there's precious little that can wear out; cleaning them is sufficient and in most cases better than installing aftermarket parts of unknown quality. On the other hand, if the carbs are CV type the diaphragms may be damaged in which case they should be replaced. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Oct 2015 13:01 #694785 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic New versus Rebuilt Carbs

Vintage3 wrote: Hi,
Just a quick question. Are brand new carbs less temperamental than thoroughly rebuilt and cleaned carbs on start up for a bike that sits a lot? Assume everything else on bike is fine. In response if you could let me know what you consider thorough too for the rebuild for the comparison as this would be helpful. My guess here is the answer would be yes. Rough starts would likely be due to old gas, gummed carbs or dirt from gas in carbs, yes?

Thanks,

Let me just say this: I doubt your starting problems are related to 'gummy' gas.

More likely, one or more of the following is true: you have low compression, your valve stem seals leak, your petcock leaks and your float valves leak. This will result in oil fouled and flooded cylinders which make starting difficult (which is made worse by low compression).

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Oct 2015 15:05 #694801 by SWest