Repro Z1 Airbox on KZ1000A2

More
19 Oct 2015 16:40 - 19 Oct 2015 16:44 #695275 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic Repro Z1 Airbox on KZ1000A2
I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful pointers on the Z1 airbox on a KZ1000, mine arrived today and I had time to put it on. Having an airbox is a big plus for me, with regards to how it idles and I like the reduced intake roar. It will definitely be a big improvement over a stock airbox whenever I need to remove the carbs. IMO it gives almost the benifits pods have in that regard, without some of the other negatives pods can have - kind of gives the best of both worlds. Aesthetically it looks great, perhaps a little bit too much of a gap at the side covers, if you are being really picky, but fits so well everywhere else you'd think it was stock. It fits perfectly up into the frame and the bottom rear of the box sits on the front edge of the battery box holder so it supports itself in place, and is not weighing down on the carbs. The fit is too tight from side to side for it to move anywhere.

I'm very pleased with the setup and working out the area of the intake opening of the box and the filter area in comparison to the 28mm carb bores it should be fairly free flowing too, I can always go for a freer flowing filter in the box if I feel that's an issue. When I get everything together I'll post a picture in case anyone else is considering doing the same.

Perhaps the real benefit will be when it has a bit of dust on it, I can claim it's an original and list it for $4k on ebay and buy a new bike with the proceeds :)

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care
Last edit: 19 Oct 2015 16:44 by redhawk4.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.