Frustrated with my TK22 carbs...

More
27 May 2018 20:25 #784202 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Frustrated with my TK22 carbs...

TimKZ550 wrote: took the needles out and found out that someone had tried to shim wear retainer bolts to slide they had put two washers on each bolt that bolts to it instead of shimming just the needle.

Retainer bolts? The jet needles are held in place by the slide actuating mechanism which is screwed to the bottom of the slide with two M3 screws (might be M4). Are you saying someone put washers under the two screws that hold the slide actuating mechanisms to the slide body? I can imagine the jet needles sort of flopped a bit. Just wonder at things folks do some times....

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2018 20:50 #784205 by TimKZ550
Replied by TimKZ550 on topic Frustrated with my TK22 carbs...
Yes sorry not bolts but the two screws . And yes they had to put two washers on each screw underneath the actuated mechanism that connects to the slide where the needle goes. I think they were trying to shim the needle I don't know but now that I've removed that and set everything back to factory it runs like a champ. I had bought a used set of four carbs off of eBay which came from a junkyard and the reason why I done that is because I had broke off the main jet inside the carb and then when I was trying to drill it out I broke off the bit inside the jet and I couldn't find anyone that could remove it without destroying the casting .
Attachments:

More
28 May 2018 07:46 - 28 May 2018 07:47 #784227 by wiredgeorge
That is a truly strange approach to raising a jet needle. In fact it won't and the jet needle will just bounce around. When you say you broke off the main jet inside the carb, the main jet screws into the main jet holder aka needle jet, which is screwed into a well which hangs down into the float bowl. Did the main jet break off in the the needle jet?

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 May 2018 07:47 by wiredgeorge.

More
28 May 2018 08:26 - 28 May 2018 08:29 #784231 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Frustrated with my TK22 carbs...
His photo shows the jet holder sheared off in the body, and I think he said there is now a broken drill bit also inside of it. The area of the casting that has the oring seal appears to be damaged as well... so it's probably a paperweight at this point.

Someone on ebay is selling individual carb bodies. One body is not terribly expensive, but if you had to buy the entire rack, one piece at a time (including all the other hardware bits), at his prices, you'd be paying way too much.
Last edit: 28 May 2018 08:29 by loudhvx.

More
28 May 2018 08:40 #784232 by wiredgeorge
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

SWest wrote: I just ordered the color tune. Should make it a lot easier dialing in my 33's.
Steve

What mods have you made to your bike. The 33s won't work well on a stock 1015cc bike; air speed through venturis is too slow and you will get a huge bog off idle. This can be mitigated by using the SMALLEST pilot air jet (.5mm) and a large pilot jet but you will still have a bog unless there has been extensive engine work; especially bumping compression and displacement.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
28 May 2018 08:44 #784233 by wiredgeorge

loudhvx wrote: His photo shows the jet holder sheared off in the body, and I think he said there is now a broken drill bit also inside of it. The area of the casting that has the oring seal appears to be damaged as well... so it's probably a paperweight at this point.

Someone on ebay is selling individual carb bodies. One body is not terribly expensive, but if you had to buy the entire rack, one piece at a time (including all the other hardware bits), at his prices, you'd be paying way too much.

I can't find this picture in this thread... never heard of this happening... always something new1

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
28 May 2018 08:55 #784234 by TimKZ550
Yes it was the needle jet (emulsion tube) that sheared off then I tried to take it out with the EZ out and that broke off inside . And that's when I decided to go ahead and buy a whole rack of carbs , I think I paid $68 for all four of them from this guy who he pulled it out of the junkyard and those are the carbs that had the washers where they weren't supposed to be that is now fixed. These were the Japanese model of the tk22 .
The carbs that I broke the needle jet ( emulsion tube) off is the American Style with the caps on the mixture screw.
Attachments:

More
28 May 2018 08:56 #784235 by TimKZ550
And yes the casting around the needle jet to did get damaged.

More
28 May 2018 09:05 - 28 May 2018 09:07 #784237 by TimKZ550
Okay thank you Martin_CSR I do have new battery , coils and stator but I have not replaced the advancer. I did fix my problem by finding out someone had tried to mess with the Clarence for the needle in the carbs I fix that problem and now it runs like a champ.
Last edit: 28 May 2018 09:07 by TimKZ550.