Drilling jet procedure

More
23 Sep 2015 10:40 #691541 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Re:Drilling jet procedure
Figured as much. I'll report back when I get them micd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Sep 2015 13:35 #691580 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:Drilling jet procedure
Last time I used a Mic was at work. I'll have to get one. Suggestions?
Steve

More
23 Sep 2015 16:46 #691632 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Re:Drilling jet procedure
Starett. Mitutoyo. Brown&Sharpe.

More
23 Sep 2015 16:58 #691634 by apbling
The caliper we tried to use was starett...buddy told me that's about the best you can get.

More
24 Sep 2015 15:41 #691787 by apbling
I used a brown and sharpe mic today. My 64 bit is so far off I'm gonna mic every bit I have to see if they are mixed up. It's huge. A buddy loaned me his set of Haug bits and his #64 is right on the money.

Also- I used the good 64 bit to verify my mains - they haven't been drilled. Pilots either. The needles are all y77 ones. I took one out to compare it to stock yet tonight.

More
25 Sep 2015 04:16 #691846 by apbling
I think I may contact Amazon, where I bought the bit set and ask for an exchange. I mic'd 1/2 the set last night, and they are all over the map. very few are actually close to what they should be, and some of the smaller ones are actually larger than what is supposed to be the big one. It's like I have 4 #66 bits, no true #64 and the rest seem to be out of order in the index... And yes, I know how to read a mic, verifiyed with my buddies micro bit set - his 64 bit mic'd up close to what it should be, and fit in my 92 jet like a glove. My 64 bit mic's up somewhere in the neighborhood of a 99 jet.

More
25 Sep 2015 13:02 #691903 by apbling
Just used a drill index to check out my stock needles vs the y77 ones. The y77 one is actually a hair wider than the stock one - not much at all, but just a hair. So, from Lous animation, it looks like the counterfeit needles are off way more then what I own, so I'm assuming they are ok to use.

More
25 Sep 2015 17:08 #691935 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Re:Drilling jet procedure
So far, I've only seen non-stamped needles that were bad.

More
03 Oct 2015 08:47 - 03 Oct 2015 08:53 #693132 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Drilling jet procedure
great news. I put my good carbs on my bike and took it for a spin. Its been getting down to near freezing at night and only 50s during the day here, so I had to take it on a little longer ride to warm it up. Initially when I started it I could tell it was a little grouchy. I found #2 header was warming up, but not like the other 3. Pulled #2s plug lead, no change - so confirmed, it wasn't firing or if it was, not well. During my ride, once warm, I could tell I had the slightest hesitation at low throttle and off the line. I'd add a little choke at those throttle positions and I could tell it ran stronger. So anyway when I got home #2 was firing, but the idle was a bit rougher than I like. So, I turned my air screw on #2 in quite a bit (way further rich than I should be) and the idle smoothed out. I also checked spark, compression (140) and fuel level on #2, all checked out good. I also know that the passages in the pilot circuit are clear, so I am guessing whats between me and a good running ride is a partially plugged pilot jet. I did check these before installing, but they are so small, its really hard to tell by the naked eye if its plugged a little bit.

BTW, this threas was originally about jets and drills etc - I got the bit set Lou recommended, but the bits micd up terrible. The 4 biggest were all the same size, none matched what they should be, etc..... anyway, i got an exchange from amazon and the 2nd set was spot on. Musta been a bad one...
I'd like to thank everyone that has helped me lately on this. Your expertise and patience is greatly appreciated. I belong to alot of forums for various things, but this place is the best one, and the only one I actually donated money to. If anyone is ever in central WI, I'll buy you a cold beverage of your choice.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2015 08:53 by apbling.

More
03 Oct 2015 12:17 #693168 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Drilling jet procedure
Glad to hear you are making progress B)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Oct 2015 12:57 #693177 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Drilling jet procedure
I love it when a good plan comes together.(Hannibal Hayes The A team). ;)
Steve

More
03 Oct 2015 17:17 #693215 by harm
Replied by harm on topic Drilling jet procedure
Good to hear!

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]