Drilling jet procedure

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
18 Sep 2015 12:52 #690728 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Re:Drilling jet procedure
This is the best possible scenario. No drilling. No trusting of rebuild kit needles. No aftermarket jets. All changes can be undone

Drilling seems a workaround as jets are calibrated by flowrate rather than orifice diameter.
Flowrate should be a function of diameter, but fluid dynamics is a bit of a black art as many cylinder head porters have noticed.

Maybe a test rig could be constructed to see the actual flow rate in cc/min?

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2015 15:11 #690742 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Re:Drilling jet procedure
No worries Dave, I figured as much, which is why I added the wink. Your advice is still the best option if it is an option.

Brendan, the jets in question are actually numbered according to diameter, but you are right, as my TK22 site illustrates about the various main jet manufaturers, there are many other factors besides the simple diameter of the orifice. Anyone doing jetting would do best to stay with one brand of main jets if they are doing jetting by seat of the pants. That way, they know a bigger number is indeed more flow. With the wideband setup, it doesn't matter if you run apples against oranges, because the o2 sensor will simply tell you, immediately, exactly how rich or lean you are... very convenient.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyrell Corp

More
19 Sep 2015 02:32 #690787 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Drilling jet procedure
Lou I repair lawn and garden equipment for a living and the EPA has this stuff running so lean
it's borderline burning itself up and with no other jets available I do drill jets at times but I use a hand drill.
I also use a torch tip cleaner that acts as a round file to clean and slightly open up jets

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
19 Sep 2015 04:34 - 19 Sep 2015 04:34 #690800 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Drilling jet procedure
Yeah, I sometimes use the torch tip cleaners that way too. The drill I use is really cheap, but it has speed control down to less than 1 rev per second, and the chuck goes almost down to zero. Most chucks won't hold a bit as small as we use. It was just interesting that the cheapest drill available ended up being the best. Don't get that kind of luck too often. :)
Last edit: 19 Sep 2015 04:34 by loudhvx.

More
19 Sep 2015 06:43 #690827 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Re:Drilling jet procedure
Lou, would you expect anything different from a company based in the great state just north of you? ;)

Hopefully menards 1. Still carries the drill and 2. Mfg or specs of that drill haven't changed since you found it a few years back

More
19 Sep 2015 11:36 - 19 Sep 2015 11:42 #690859 by loudhvx
It may look different. I think the Tool Shop brand has gray tools now? And yes, hopefully it functions the same. 10 years ago it was $10. I didn't use it much until I realized it was perfect for jets.

EDIT: I checked Menard's website. Looks like they have an updated version online (appears to be red again), but I don't know if the chuck is the same. Hopefully they will have one in the store you can check out. The price has skyrocketed to $20.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2015 11:42 by loudhvx.

More
19 Sep 2015 13:18 #690883 by apbling
Woah 100% lol. Better wait for my %11 sale period so I can save $2 lol

More
21 Sep 2015 14:39 #691246 by apbling
Alright. The plot thickens. Maybe. I got my drill bit set in the mail and for the heck of it I decided to gauge my main jets that I have laying around. (Extras). The #64 bit which should be just a hair less than a #92 jet WOULD not fit. All 4 of them. Now these jets are stamped 92. The next smaller bit was loose. Safe to say just the normal variation in bit/jet diameters? It wouldn't take much drilling to pop it through. But no amount of gentle wiggling will pass it through. I thought it'd be on the loose side since it's a hair smaller than the 92 jet id.

More
21 Sep 2015 17:41 - 21 Sep 2015 17:44 #691262 by loudhvx
Yes, the bits do vary a tiny bit. I always mic them to get a better measure of the diameter. I try to keep a record of the jets to the nearest tenth of a mm. Sometimes half a mm can make a difference on the wideband (but probably won't be felt in the running).
Last edit: 21 Sep 2015 17:44 by loudhvx.

More
22 Sep 2015 10:35 #691387 by apbling
Well, I may have some disappointing news. But maybe there is a silver lining. An ex-machinist I work measured my new drill bit set for me today... my #64 bit, which should be a hair less than a 92 jet showed up as a 99 jet. Now, that seems like alot of variation. Our mic here has seen better days, so he was using some high end caliper, which I am hoping just plain ol isn't that accurate. He's bringing his personal mic in tomorrow to measure them for me.

So, either the caliper isn't accurate enough, the bits vary widly, or somehow they are mixed up in the little sliding tray they come in. I made sure not to mix them up, plus you can only take one out at a time - kind of a neat little carrying case.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
22 Sep 2015 10:46 #691391 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:Drilling jet procedure
The difference is so small my caliper won't read them.
Steve

More
23 Sep 2015 10:15 #691530 by loudhvx
Forget calipers. High quality mics only, for stuff that small and precise. I've never seen any that far off.