Carburetor tuning

More
02 Sep 2015 17:44 #688371 by JBuck89
Carburetor tuning was created by JBuck89
Hey guys, new member just signed up but have been on the site looking for a couple weeks and had to sign up. I recently bought a 76 kz900, it starts up great and easy without the choke. Just turn the throttle twice and it comes alive. The guy who had it before me I am guessing bought it as is and never did anything with it because he did not know much at all about bikes and the clutch was so out of adjustment I am not sure how he rode it to meet up. But picked it up cheap a steal really. It has a vance and hines 4 into 1. Someone cut the baffle off and it only had the end cover in the pipe, back fires and pops off throttle horribly. Throttle response is not nearly as good as it should be I think. I was going to get a carb sync gauge and make sure they are right and get the right baffle back in. I like power a lot more than just noise. I want to start building the engine eventually but need to get this corrected first and maybe do some front brake work as well. I am a young guy and love these old bikes. I have had a zx9r that I have took care off and would like to get this to a similar area as far as power and smoothness. Just looking for some carburetor tuning advice I am a beginner and especially don'

Attachment 76kz900.jpg not found

t have experience on these bikes.

BUCK
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Sep 2015 18:45 #688379 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Carburetor tuning
Check your valve adjustments before you go to the carbs. Z1E has baffles. I have the middle one (competition/street) and it works great. It will run like it is but you ether have to choose baffle or no baffle and jet to it.
Steve

More
03 Sep 2015 04:17 #688401 by JBuck89
Replied by JBuck89 on topic Carburetor tuning
That was something else I was wondering may be causing issues as well. I will check valve adjustment as well. I need to buy a good manual for this bike or can anyone tell me what the clearance should be on the ex. and in. ? I will have to get on you tube and see how to do the adjustment. I have not done one one in awhile.

BUCK

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Sep 2015 05:28 - 03 Sep 2015 05:29 #688408 by SWest
Look up valve adjustments. They can cause symptoms of carb problems. If that's the case, it will only get worse.
Steve

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Sep 2015 05:29 by SWest.

More
03 Sep 2015 11:20 #688466 by JBuck89
Thank you! This will come in handy.

BUCK

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Sep 2015 16:39 #688513 by SWest
You have shim over buckets. You need the tool to adjust them.
Steve

More
04 Sep 2015 04:23 #688576 by JBuck89
Thank you for informing me before I got into them. I looked one up they are not high at all.

BUCK

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Sep 2015 07:21 #688600 by SWest
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIf you're careful you can reuse the gasket. I always have a spare on hand.

I get all my gaskets from him. Quick and if damaged, he'll send a new on. Good guy.
You won't regret it. jetsRus has shims or your local bike shop might trade with you for $5.
Steve

More
04 Sep 2015 07:46 #688604 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Carburetor tuning
I notice you appear to have individual pod filters on the carbs.
If the carbs were not jetted for the pods then the combination of jetting and your current exhaust may cause the poor running..
the only way to tell if carbs have been Re jetted is to check manual for stock jetting and open carbs and inspect current jets.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
04 Sep 2015 15:15 #688673 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Carburetor tuning
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

swest wrote: If you're careful you can reuse the gasket. I always have a spare on hand.

I get all my gaskets from him. Quick and if damaged, he'll send a new on. Good guy.
You won't regret it. jetsRus has shims or your local bike shop might trade with you for $5.
Steve

jaquish motorsports is where I got all my KZ1000 gaskets. So far so good and they came QUICK!!

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
08 Sep 2015 02:42 #689102 by JBuck89
I am not sure honestly. My guess is it was jetted for the pod filters and the fully baffled 4 into 1 vance and hines. I have not been able to order anything yet but I planned to order the new full baffle and see how it runs. If it is still having issues then I will check the jetting and make sure they are snyched which I need to order that gauge as well. The valves I don't think are out of adjustment if so not much they do not make a lot of noise and a few guys who know the old schools say they sound standard. But I have been trying to wait until I start getting into it I just have been having fun cruising around on it. End of this month and October I plan to park her for the year and start really working on it.

BUCK