Checking needle and seats for leaks

• skooterbum4real
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Aug 2015 04:50 #686052 by skooterbum4real
Checking needle and seats for leaks was created by skooterbum4real
I was talking with my auto mechanic yesterday about the carbs on my kz650. I mentioned that I'm going to rebuild them due to fuel filling the air box. He showed me a little tool he made up years back with black pipe, an air regulator, and a pressure gauge.

He states that he bench tests his snowmobile carbs with the tool, by placing the carbs in an upside down position, so the floats are pressing the needles into the seats. He then attaches the tool to the carbs with a piece of hose running from the end of the tool to the fuel inlet of the carbs. He then applies 5 to 7 lbs. of air pressure to the carbs, then cuts off the air supply, and lets them set for x amount of time. If the air doesn't bleed off, then the needle and seats are sealing as they should.

Has anyone tried this method before, and was it an acceptable way of checking the needle and seats ??

1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2015 12:43 #686099 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Checking needle and seats for leaks

skooterbum4real wrote: I was talking with my auto mechanic yesterday about the carbs on my kz650. I mentioned that I'm going to rebuild them due to fuel filling the air box. He showed me a little tool he made up years back with black pipe, an air regulator, and a pressure gauge.

He states that he bench tests his snowmobile carbs with the tool, by placing the carbs in an upside down position, so the floats are pressing the needles into the seats. He then attaches the tool to the carbs with a piece of hose running from the end of the tool to the fuel inlet of the carbs. He then applies 5 to 7 lbs. of air pressure to the carbs, then cuts off the air supply, and lets them set for x amount of time. If the air doesn't bleed off, then the needle and seats are sealing as they should.

Has anyone tried this method before, and was it an acceptable way of checking the needle and seats ??

I did the same thing minus the fancy test tools: take the brass seat and needle out (very easy) insert the needle in the seat and apply lips to back of the seat and create suction and see if air goes through.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• skooterbum4real
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Aug 2015 18:16 #686140 by skooterbum4real
Replied by skooterbum4real on topic Checking needle and seats for leaks

bountyhunter wrote:

skooterbum4real wrote: I was talking with my auto mechanic yesterday about the carbs on my kz650. I mentioned that I'm going to rebuild them due to fuel filling the air box. He showed me a little tool he made up years back with black pipe, an air regulator, and a pressure gauge.

I did the same thing minus the fancy test tools: take the brass seat and needle out (very easy) insert the needle in the seat and apply lips to back of the seat and create suction and see if air goes through.

:woohoo: I would end up swallowing the needle and seat trying that... :laugh: Not sure how well I would digest the parts !! :)

1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

More
18 Aug 2015 06:40 - 18 Aug 2015 06:56 #686196 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Checking needle and seats for leaks
Check to make sure the fuel valve or petcock is stopping the flow of fuel when the engine is stopped.

Inspect the brass parts for wear or pitting. The 81 manual has a drawing showing how a wear ring can form. Mine looked good, but I went ahead & polished them with brass wool. Some guys use a q-tip & chrome polish. If they're worn or pitted, get new. Also, the seats should have washers on them.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2015 06:56 by martin_csr.

More
18 Aug 2015 06:58 #686197 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Checking needle and seats for leaks

my similar method
carbs off the bike. Bowls off. Carbs upside down. Blow into the fuel line or a clean new piece of fuel line. If the needle are not seating you will know pretty quickly. I don't think i can blow hard enough to left a properly seated float

his method seems more precise but mine doesn't require special tools :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Aug 2015 07:34 #686203 by SWest

More
18 Aug 2015 08:53 #686207 by ffltstn
Replied by ffltstn on topic Checking needle and seats for leaks
If you have new needles and still think you not sealing I learned a trick from an old service department manager. Put a Q-tip in your drill chuck and a drop of Brasso on it. Spin it onto the seat and a lot of time u can smooth out any imperfections. This is really helpful if you have non removable seats.
Ken

'82 KZ1000
'95 Voyager XII
'98 Vulcan 750

• skooterbum4real
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Aug 2015 10:53 #686223 by skooterbum4real
Replied by skooterbum4real on topic Checking needle and seats for leaks
I didn't know about the polishing method ?? I may have been able to save the original needle and seats had I known this.....

Good info !! Thanks guys !!

1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

More
18 Aug 2015 15:15 #686256 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Checking needle and seats for leaks
I did the Q-tip and brass polish thing early this spring.
They really looked good so I threw the new replacement ones in a bag and reinstalled the 38 year old ones!!
Even with a high float level, no leaks from those needles and seats... ugh... my old ass bowl gaskets leaked a bit when I'd tip the bike on the center stand.
And the new gaskets did too... they took at least a week to swell up and stop dripping.
Then I reset the float level with the clear tube method and it's all a moot point now.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Aug 2015 15:53 #686263 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Checking needle and seats for leaks
I always use grease on float bowl gaskets. No leaks.
Steve