Kz1000 popping and bogging

More
02 Aug 2015 15:04 #683917 by Turbo99397
Kz1000 popping and bogging was created by Turbo99397
so when I bought my bike I was told that the carburetors needed rejet. It has kerker 4 to 1 Heder with baffle, pod filters and electronic ign with accel coils. Not sure what plug gap I should be running, but when I bought it it seem to run ok except if I was in a higher gear around 3500 rpm and I went full throttle in that gear it would bog out. it has gotten progressively worse in the last time I wrote it I barely made it home. I had a motorcycle shop supposedly go through the carburetors and clean them and reject them I have 110 jets in there currently. bike doesn't seem to run any better it's spits and pops and if I pull the spark plug wire off of the cylinder closest to my leg on the right side it does not change the way it runs however it does have spark.I truly believe it has something to do with the carburetors but I'm not so sure I have a little bit of fuel spitting out of the carburetors and some popping I have messed around with the air fuel mixture I sprayed around the boots to make sure there was no leaks while it was running and still no dice. I took the tank off and was running a big Fiji bottle of water filled with gas and in about 10 minutes for running it sucked it dry which to me seems like a little excessive amount of fuel being used. I put new plugs in it and they are somewhat of a golden brown which is indicating that the color of the plug is ok for running but it just will not run good and I'm getting very frustrated. FastI have not been able to ride this bike since I bought it on the 4th of July I'll have been doing is messing with it it will not run good enough to ride for take to a shop for that matter. any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm getting so frustrated with this bike I'm losing motivation to even work on it. it's a 1980 kz1000 shaft driven

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2016 18:39 #708661 by cafebrat
Replied by cafebrat on topic Kz1000 popping and bogging
How did the plugs look before you had the shop rejet? Its strange to go from bogging to spitting and popping if you jetted up. Bogging would be too rich, spitting surging and popping would be too lean.

83 Kawasaki Kz1100 LTD
81 Honda cm400
72 Suzuki T500 Titan** 2-stroke B)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Jan 2016 04:09 #708696 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Kz1000 popping and bogging
Have you adjusted the valves and do you have a manual?
Steve

More
31 Jan 2016 04:21 #708700 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Kz1000 popping and bogging
Good pods or cheap pieces of crap? 110 isn't far from stock which i believe is 107. Whenever I buy a bike with pods and a header it seems like they are 120 mains 20 pilots. Just stick with stock plug gap (whatever that is) since you are running pods and a header it's carb tuning time.

Check valves first if they haven't been done, then check for air leaks at the carb boots, then electrical connections (full voltage thru the stop switch, to the coils (or ballast) etc. then if that doesn't fix it, it's time to become a carb tuning wizard

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
31 Jan 2016 04:48 - 31 Jan 2016 04:50 #708706 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Kz1000 popping and bogging
If you notice this is 6 months old and in his threads after he jetted up and got the carbs about right .... but then started having ign problems ..... not sure where things are now. Probably freezing to death waiting for spring. ;)

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2016 04:50 by KZB2 650.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Jan 2016 05:17 #708710 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Kz1000 popping and bogging
Guys don't want to do the valves being it costs money and time. I can't tell you how many times it happens this way. There's one that fought doing them, then proceeded to tear the bike down completely and still is. I never got a firm answer if the valves were out of tolerance or not. The last comment from him was he didn't want to spend the money on known items so he bought cheaper ones and is barking about them not working. I wonder if THAT bike will ever see the road again. :dry:
Steve

More
31 Jan 2016 07:51 #708739 by strum
Replied by strum on topic Kz1000 popping and bogging
i got mine in November. it didnt bog but it did spit and pop a lot..
first thing i did the day i got it home was pull the valve cover and adjust the valves.
then as yall know i been messing with all the jetting and doing quiet a bit of maintenance.
my Manuel (not a clymer) says the factory jetting is 110 main and 15 pilot.
as of now im up to 17 pilot and 117.5 main..i may be a little rich on the main but not by far.
sooo to start with i feel he is way lean ..i have a header but stock box ..he had pods.
since we havent heard from him agin its all a shot in the dark here but i betting .
his carbs arent right yet but his bogging is more ignition.

Blairsville Ga.

1980 KZ1000 Shaft (sold and missed already)
2003 ZRX 1200R (sold)
2003 Concours ZG1000 (just purchased)