EFI to Carb conversion

More
19 Jul 2015 18:23 #681689 by aphex
EFI to Carb conversion was created by aphex
I've been looking through the old posts on the forum for some answers but so far no dice. Hoping someone can help...

I've got a 1980 kz1000 g1 Classic, the American fuel injected model from 1980. Converting her to Mikuni VM28 carbs (without the accelerator pump). I'm new to fuel injection and new to these carbs. I don't have the carbs on hand yet and I'm waiting for a manual to arrive in the mail. A couple questions...

Do I need to run these carbs without the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator, or do they need to stay in the fuel circuit somehow? I'm thinking of just letting the carbs run on a gravity feed and plugging the fuel return line to the gas tank, but not sure if this is correct.

Also, there are what appear to be vacuum lines running from the fuel injector holder to an "air flow valve" then to the front camshaft covers, as well as a larger line which runs from the air filter can. What are these for? I'll be running pods and doing away with the airbox and air filter can...want to make sure these vacuum lines aren't essential with a carb setup.

Aphex

1980 KZ1000 G1 Classic
1982 Yamaha XZ550, decommissioned

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
20 Jul 2015 04:23 #681749 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic EFI to Carb conversion
On the GPz1100 it is quite a common modification, I think all you need is a fuel tap -that might be in the wrong place for carbs. There are tap/carb clearance issues with some GPz tanks. I guess the vacuum lines could be used for a vacuum opertated fuel tap or blanked off.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
20 Jul 2015 07:40 - 20 Jul 2015 07:46 #681777 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic EFI to Carb conversion
You can run Mikunis VM28 directly by gravity feed. Block the fuel return line at the tank.

The hoses coming out of the fuel injection throttle body are vacuum hoses that are used to open the "clean air system valve". The larger ones feeds air from the airbox to this valve.

You can remove all that but remember to block the 2 reed valve ports at the valve cover.

By the way, why do you want to get rid of the fuel injection? Any problems?

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires
Last edit: 20 Jul 2015 07:46 by undiablo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: conghos

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jul 2015 08:07 #681779 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic EFI to Carb conversion
Besides various parts being obsolete, the early fuel injected systems had problems. The VM 26's will do and are cheaper. They do a good job but everyone wanted the 29's or bigger. I have a set of VM 28's and they worked well with my 1015 overbore. The problem with these are the outside adjusters. More difficult to keep in sync. The 26's are inside the tops and stay put better. Pics would be helpful.
Steve

More
20 Jul 2015 08:22 #681785 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic EFI to Carb conversion
Like undiablo mentioned, you can block off the 2 ports for the reed valves on the valve cover, by simply

attaching a hose from 1 , 2 the other
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: undiablo

More
20 Jul 2015 08:38 #681789 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic EFI to Carb conversion

aphex wrote: I've been looking through the old posts on the forum for some answers but so far no dice. Hoping someone can help...

I've got a 1980 kz1000 g1 Classic, the American fuel injected model from 1980. Converting her to Mikuni VM28 carbs (without the accelerator pump). I'm new to fuel injection and new to these carbs. I don't have the carbs on hand yet and I'm waiting for a manual to arrive in the mail. A couple questions...

Do I need to run these carbs without the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator, or do they need to stay in the fuel circuit somehow? I'm thinking of just letting the carbs run on a gravity feed and plugging the fuel return line to the gas tank, but not sure if this is correct.

Also, there are what appear to be vacuum lines running from the fuel injector holder to an "air flow valve" then to the front camshaft covers, as well as a larger line which runs from the air filter can. What are these for? I'll be running pods and doing away with the airbox and air filter can...want to make sure these vacuum lines aren't essential with a carb setup.

Aphex

Don't forget that the FI units mount directly to the head and that these ports must also be closed/epoxied shut. I have seen both approaches...epoxy and large threaded bolts .

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
20 Jul 2015 15:04 #681862 by aphex
Replied by aphex on topic EFI to Carb conversion
Thanks to everyone for the response and advice!

I bought this bike from a guy who says "it just died one day while idling in the garage." He wasn't into wrenching on things so had no idea what the problem was, and didn't want to bother fixing it when shops told him they'd put carbs on it but wouldn't touch the FI. He said before the machine shut down it ran like a dream, he wouldn't have had second thoughts about taking it all the way to Florida.

Right at 10,000 miles on the odometer and I'm inclined to believe it because the bike looks very well cared for and completely stock, as far as I can tell. I haven't gone through the FI components but I suspect it's the classic computer fail so common with this model (although I've learned that sometimes on these bikes it can be something simpler to fix). My plan is to put to carbs on her, fire it up and see how she sounds. If it runs well (I think it will) then I'll ride it daily and meanwhile go through the FI components, see what I discover. I don't want to alter anything permanently in the conversion to carbs process, that way I can always put the FI back on if it turns out not to be the computer, or I find a replacement computer and feel like taking the gamble of buying it.

if a gravity feed works well for the carb setup then I'll definitely go that route, simplify things that way. Found some good 28's at a very good price, gonna run pods instead of hunting down an airbox because I want to get her on the road asap.

I came across some posts that mentioned using clevis pins and holding plates to plug the injection ports- I like this idea. Simple, quick, not permanent. My main concern here is that the injection port hole will disrupt air/fuel flow at the intake if it isn't blocked off smoothly on the inside (where the injection port meets the main intake port). I'm thinking after I put in a clevis pin maybe I could fill the bottom of the injection port with high-temp rtv sealant and smooth it out to match the intake port wall....does this sound feasible?

What exactly is this "clean air system"? I don't understand....why send air from the airbox to the camshaft area? I'll probably do like you guys have suggested and block these reed valves off, but I'm still curious what it's all about.

I'll post pics soon as I can.

1980 KZ1000 G1 Classic
1982 Yamaha XZ550, decommissioned

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jul 2015 17:38 #681885 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic EFI to Carb conversion
The system injects air into the exhaust valve ports after the valve to burn off excess fuel while in the exhaust pipes.. As for silicon, you'd be better off with a bolt or something if I understand you right.
Pics would help.
Steve

More
09 Feb 2016 02:14 #710074 by diego092409
Replied by diego092409 on topic EFI to Carb conversion
I have a 1982 GPZ1100 that I am in the midst of doing the swingarm swap out that I have been planning for over 2 years. The upper shock mount is going where the fuel pump used to be, The more I look at it, the more, I am thinking the best course of action for the interim is to remove the injection system and put in a set of carbs. Will KZ1100 carbs (Mikuni bs34's) bolt right up to my stock air box?

I had put pods on it to make room for this swap under the seat and it ran poorly. I think where I have located the upper shock mount will allow me put the full stock air box back in and I need the real estate in the tail for the battery... Any input would be appreciated.

1982 KZ1100 B2 - 'Old Red' kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601185-gpz-1100-resto-mod-old-red
2015 BMW K1600GT
2017 KTM 690 Enduro R
2018 Kymco Spade (wife's)