Yes another Fuel level Issue (KZ750 4cyl)

More
04 Jul 2015 17:23 #679438 by matigipler
Yes another Fuel level Issue (KZ750 4cyl) was created by matigipler
Ok so!.... Rebuilt my carbs top to bottow and installed Dynojet kit. everything went smooth! found some bad needles and some clogged jets! all fixed now. i decided to measure all floats to the same height they are all 24mm give or take maybe .5mm from eachother. I believe i read that 25 is what to shoot for? not sure everyone has a different oppinion on this.
I did the fuel level test with clear hoses to check everything and got around what i believe is 5 to 10mm (you be the judge pic below) from the seam of the bowl which makes me think its going to run lean, i heard the level you want is from 4mm to 7 right? correct me if im wrong. (i will attach a pic to help you guys out.)
FOR THE BIG QUIESTION or Questions.
1. if i make the floats to sit at 25mm from the bowl meeting surface to the top of the float will that increase of decrease the level of fuel?????? this has me confused as hell haha.
2. how do i avoid a expanded gasket every time i open the carb up to redo the float height hahah

Attachment carb.jpg not found

(all carbs fuel level is in very small deviation from eachother. 1 mm or 2mm )
Thanks in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Jul 2015 17:38 #679441 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Yes another Fuel level Issue (KZ750 4cyl)
Smear a thin layer of grease on the gasket. Just enough to color the gasket. Old trick.
Steve

More
04 Jul 2015 17:55 #679442 by matigipler
Replied by matigipler on topic Yes another Fuel level Issue (KZ750 4cyl)
for the gasket?? will do. thanks any grease or that silicone stuff?

More
04 Jul 2015 18:50 #679447 by JR
The only way to know what the actual fuel level is is to actually measure it by holding a ruler up against the tube. eyeball and guessing dont work.
Measue the level with a ruler and record the level for each carb. I have a 1980 kz750 4 cylined E1 with Keihin carbs and and the spec for mine is 4 +/1 1mm Ithink. You should check your manual.

If the level needs adjustment then turn the carb upside down as in the pick below and measure the float height. If you measure a fuel level of 6mm below the seam then adjust the float height by 2mm and this will give you a fuel level of 4mm when you reassemble. You dont need to do trial and eror. Just once

If you float bowl gasket is a big O ring shaped like the side of a house as mine are then they do tend to expand when you take them off. I put them in individual little ziploc bags in the freezer for about 30 minutes and they will shrink back down again but you have to work fast and with on at a time

Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2015 19:48 #679452 by matigipler
Replied by matigipler on topic Yes another Fuel level Issue (KZ750 4cyl)
Should i adjust it 2mm up or down. thats my question. should the floats sit 2 mm higher or lower? which way to bend the tab. thats where im most confused. i have the same bike. Keihin carbs 1980 750 E. and the floats are sitting at about 24mm. should they sit at 25/26?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Jul 2015 21:56 #679459 by SWest

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Jul 2015 22:00 #679460 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Yes another Fuel level Issue (KZ750 4cyl)

matigipler wrote: Should i adjust it 2mm up or down. thats my question. should the floats sit 2 mm higher or lower? which way to bend the tab. thats where im most confused. i have the same bike. Keihin carbs 1980 750 E. and the floats are sitting at about 24mm. should they sit at 25/26?

The tang should be level. If you have to bend it on a angle, the needle will bind. Bend the float arms just enough to have it close, then fine tune it with the tang.
Steve

More
04 Jul 2015 23:23 #679465 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Yes another Fuel level Issue (KZ750 4cyl)
If you want to raise the fuel level, then the measurement from the carb body to the bottom of the float needs to be smaller.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: matigipler