possible carb issue?

More
03 Jul 2015 11:22 #679254 by mithrander
possible carb issue? was created by mithrander
So I have a 1976 kz900 I purchased. 1015 kit, web cams , Keihin carbs. Just got my heads back from Cavanaugh. Bike is back together now after valve adjustment. I still have some of my original problems witch I think may be caused by the carbs. they are brand new and according to the guy I bought the bike from they were jetted for the bike by Sudco. I have the bike in a stand and fuel is supplied by an external fuel bottle (tank still removed).

1. When I turn on the petcock for the fuel bottle #1 carb leaks fuel from what I can tell is the throttle body (intake)
2. I can start the engine but it will not idle and I have to keep it at 2k + RPM to run.
3. Exhaust pipes immediately get extremely hot. Which seems unusual to get that hot that quick

Comments, Ideas, suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2015 11:35 #679257 by matigipler
Replied by matigipler on topic possible carb issue?
Seems to be that you are running Lean. that would explain the poor or no idle and the hot pipes. gas actually acts as something to keep temps low believe it or not. (to an extent of course)
as to what is causing it being lean? could be a number of things. but probably your pilot screws. they might be set too lean.
i doubt its your jets themselves because those kick in at higher RPM your pilot screw takes care of idle and very low RPM.
Not a bike mechanic but that's my input anyways

More
03 Jul 2015 14:01 #679281 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic possible carb issue?
If the carbs are new & Sudco jetted them , they should NOT be leaking, I would call Sudco , and see what they suggest
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Jul 2015 19:29 #679328 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic possible carb issue?
Check your float levels. They might have been dropped in transit.
Steve

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
04 Jul 2015 00:51 #679347 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic possible carb issue?
Are they the carbs that came on the bike when it was new or have they been changed at some point? Different answers for different carbs. What type of air filter are you using?

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

More
04 Jul 2015 10:10 #679396 by mithrander
Replied by mithrander on topic possible carb issue?
Carbs were on the bike when I purchased it. carbs are new (less than 500 miles). I am using K&N filters but it has the same problem with the filters on or off the bike. Carbs have been off the bike for 1.5 months while I waited for the head work to be completed. Initially the bike ran ok then started acting like it was starved for fuel. That's when I decided to dismantle and send the heads out for some work as I was not sure of the cause and there were a few suspect parts. Now I believe the carbs have been the main issue all along. Seems strange that it would run fine then all of the sudden have this problem. I suspect some debris or dirt in the carbs since the tank upon inspection had a dilapidated petcock but I am just guessing. Almost seems like a hose nipple or something similar came off allowing more air into the system but I don't see anything like that. I will contact Sudco on Monday if I cant resolve the issue this weekend. Any ideas are appreciated.

More
04 Jul 2015 10:45 - 04 Jul 2015 10:46 #679398 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic possible carb issue?
Looks like at least two problems.
1. Fuel running out of carb.
Frequent culprits are, a tiny bit of debris preventing the needle valve from closing - grossly misadjusted or upside down float that fails to close the needle valve before overflowing.

2. Very lean mixture at low speed .
Frequent culprits here, tiny bits of debris clogging the very tiny low speed circuit (again with debris??) - intake manifolds leak - low speed mixture screw badly out of adjustment - carbs not jetted for pod filters (and low restriction exhaust?).

Never believe a previous owner.

You probably should take the carbs off, drain them, flip them over and pull the bowls. Take a tiny wire (a bristle from a wire brush may do) and carefully run it through all of the low speed circuits. When you are reasonably sure they are clear, get a spray can of carb cleaner with the little tube attached and spray each circuit carefully noting whether or not you get good spray out of each. Be sure to wear goggles as carb cleaner will do bad things to your eyeballs. Once you are satisfied that they are clean, take note of all the jet sizes and reset the low speed screws to the base setting. That setting depends on exactly which model carbs you have. Call or email LC to see if those jets are what you need for your setup. Once you have the proper jets installed, put the carbs back together and do a bench synchronization
If your carbs are supposed to have a certain float height, that needs to be set before reinstalling the bowls. If they are an older style carb, then you will need to use the clear tube method to properly set the fuel level. Reinstall the carbs and a fuel filter.
If the bike starts and runs pretty well, do a proper vacuum synchronization, reset the idle speed and ride it like you stole it!
If it still does not idle well, adjust the low speed screws until it does. If still no love, test the intake manifold for leaks.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 04 Jul 2015 10:46 by TexasKZ.

More
04 Jul 2015 10:53 #679402 by mithrander
Thanks for the advice texasKZ

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Jul 2015 11:46 #679412 by SWest

More
06 Jul 2015 09:43 #679656 by mithrander
Keihin 29mm CR round slides. Actually I followed the advice above and took carbs back off opened up the bowls and cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air. After install bike runs good. I expect I will need to do some fine tuning and possibly check the sync but for right this minute the original issue has been fixed and the bike runs. I will post the jet sizes later today for comment