KZ550 engine carb question?

More
04 Jun 2015 07:58 #675208 by lhemrick
KZ550 engine carb question? was created by lhemrick
I have an 81 kz550C2 that I made an engine swap on. I had the bank of carbs (TK Carbs) tuned for that engine but because it was at the end of its life I found a 550A engine with little or no miles on it and made the change. The New engine is running lean and hot now with the settings and jets now. I'm currently running 2 1/2 turns out on the air screws. 110 Main and the stock 32 pilot jet. The slide needles have the clip in the very bottom slot so they are up as far as they will go. I also noticed when I took the carbs apart to make sure they were clean that one center slide is obviously open more than the others while closed and thus need to be synced. I did some plug chops at idle and 55 mph. At idle the tips changed very little but at 55 the ground electrode is slightly white. They were really white till I started adding some fuel with the air screws. My question is what should be the first change I make? I have some 120's on hand but I wonder if that will be to much. I also have some 35 pilots that fit but they are a little longer into the carb than the stock ones. I installed one in a spare set of carbs I have and still get flow through them so that's another question?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Jun 2015 16:10 #675259 by SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.