K&N air filter worth the money?

More
30 May 2015 18:53 #674564 by Jrider
K&N air filter worth the money? was created by Jrider
I have a 82 GPZ750. Is the replacement drop-in air filter from K&N worth the $ 47 dollar price? It drops into the stock air box. Any thoughts?

1982 Kawasaki KZ 750 R , Stock
2007 Harley Davidson Police Electraglide

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2015 19:20 #674565 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic K&N air filter worth the money?
It wouldn't be worth it to me, even if it cost the same as the stock paper filter. K&N drop in filters do not filter down to as small a particle size as the stock filters. That is why they pass more air. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jrider

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 May 2015 19:34 #674567 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic K&N air filter worth the money?
I've been running them for 30 years. Lifetime use, well worth the money.
Steve

More
30 May 2015 20:14 #674577 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic K&N air filter worth the money?
I don't know, I guess I fall midway between Ed and Steve. They are convenient and seem a good value, as can be reused for a long time, but do pass more dirt. There was a test done by some real nice equipment that could measure all kinds of things like air flow, dirt flow, amount of dirt before restricted ect, ect. This was on the internet, and done with a Chevy Duramax diesel. The K&N passed 13 or so times more dirt than the AC Delco paper filter which was rated the best, and on top of that air intake with the K&N was restricted much more quickly as it was run. This was not an AC Delco commercial or anything. They had no ties to any of the filters, just reporting what the measurement levels were. I've run them for years too, and never had any problem with the stock airbox with a K&N filter, but think in retrospect running the stock filter is a better idea. As to the K&N pods, don't even go there. They are good as running no filter.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
30 May 2015 20:21 #674579 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic K&N air filter worth the money?
I agree with Steve, I've been using mine for over 30 yrs Never a problem, never had to rebuild the engine so I'd say it filters plenty fine...... :) The amount of money saved on paper filters over that time would probably buy 2-3 K & N's :huh:
And don't forget that extra air :laugh:

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
31 May 2015 00:24 #674594 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic K&N air filter worth the money?
I have been running an aftermarket foam style filter (on aluminum frame) for about 30 years now. You oil and clean it at regular intervals and it lasts forever. I think they used to sell for maybe $20.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
31 May 2015 00:30 - 31 May 2015 00:31 #674598 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic K&N air filter worth the money?
Mine is like this one. I use the "no toil" filter oil and solvent because it is biodegradeable and dissolves in the water based
solvent solution. You don't have to use any paint thinner or mineral oil,

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 May 2015 00:31 by bountyhunter.

More
03 Jun 2015 08:24 #675108 by TheForumTroll
Replied by TheForumTroll on topic K&N air filter worth the money?
I'm running a K&N now but I would not buy one today if I had to change it. That you can clean it and apply new oil instead of buying new is not worth any extra price. My girlfriends Suzuki is born with an oiled foam filter that is cheaper, filters better and also last a lifetime. Really it comes down to if you want that extra amount of airflow (that some tests says are a pretty dubious claim in real life) and can live with a higher wear of the engine since it will let more dirt through.

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-

More
03 Jun 2015 11:25 - 03 Jun 2015 11:29 #675126 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic K&N air filter worth the money?
I've used both the K&N and Uni filters in my bikes for 30 + years with no problems or accelerated wear. I think the Uni foam filters do a better overall job. Go to the Uni site and see if they still have a filter for your bike, they normally cost less then the K&N's.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750
Last edit: 03 Jun 2015 11:29 by 80B4.

More
03 Jun 2015 15:47 #675148 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic K&N air filter worth the money?
The science is pretty clear on this topic, K&N do not filter particulate as well as simple paper filters do. This is not opinion, its been tested time and time again. Here a just a few tests you can find on the net, all showing how bad K&N really is. It is the most restrictive and poorest filtering option available on the market today.

www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

www.fastcar.co.uk/2012/05/04/performance-car-air-filter-test/9/

There are dozens more if you keep looking... all point to the same conclusion ( accept those sponsored by K&N)

Oiled foam is superior to paper, but the best option is a foam pre-filter over paper. Similar to what the off road ATV crowd uses religiously.

I run paper filters or foam (uni-filters) on my cars and bikes.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
03 Jun 2015 22:53 #675181 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic K&N air filter worth the money?
"most restrictive and poorest filtering" are at opposite ends of the spectrum any test that claims that is total bullshit :whistle:

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

More
04 Jun 2015 05:15 #675189 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic K&N air filter worth the money?
K&N are not most restrictive, but they are poor filtering. Not sure how significant this really is though. My opinion is to error on the side of durability.