Problem with Carbs and reving

More
28 May 2015 09:46 #674185 by Slyde77
Problem with Carbs and reving was created by Slyde77
First wanna say hello and I'm new to the Kz world.....I just pick up a 77 kz1000 A1, I fell in love with this bike when I was like 4 years old watching the Mad max movies... I'm 38 now lol :) Anyway I pick the bike up a couple of weeks ago,

Ok so I replace the carb boots and clean the carbs, I'm guessing the bike really wasn't running for at least a year due to bad carb boots and dirty carbs. Anyway I did this and it fired right up, now the problem I'm having is when I rev it sometimes it stays up around 3000 rpms or comes down real slow back to idle. Sometimes the idle is all over the place....and one time I was riding it around the farm just to get everything flowing and I put it on the kick stand and leaned it over and it started to rev like crazy.....that hasn't happen again so idk if that was something because I just reinstalled the carbs.... Now the throttle cable is a little stiff but I got it to snap back now, but im still having the same problem. I have a new throttle cables and clutch cable due to the fact the ones on the bike are old and stiff just need to put them on. Now I did try spraying the carb cleaner on the boots and there are no leaks there, no changed when I sprayed them. I messed with the fuel mixture and that didn't change anything. I mean the revs come down but super slow, that sh*t isnt right hahahaha

So that being said i'm a little lost, should I change the throttle cable maybe that's the problem ??
Do I need to have the carbs rebuilt??? If so anyone have some place I can send them or buy a rebuilt set???
what could be making the the bikes revs get caught up like that...any help would be great. I hate to bring it some where because of something silly lol I just wanna get out and ride this thing :)

Thank you all for your time :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2015 10:01 #674187 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Problem with carbs and reving
First off is to remove the old cables and operate the carbs manually.

If they work fine, it was the cables or throttle tube. Make sure the end of the grip isn't rubbing the handlebars. If the RPMs still hang up, try spraying the slides with WD40.

Also, the ignition advancer is known for hanging idles. You need to disassemble it, clean and lube it with a light grease, just a dab on the pins.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
28 May 2015 10:07 #674190 by Slyde77
Replied by Slyde77 on topic Problem with carbs and reving
ahh ok ty ill give that a shot...btw sorry guys for putting this in the wrong forum I moved it to the carb forum now

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 May 2015 10:30 #674195 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Problem with carbs and reving
The slides could be sticky. Use car spray, open and close (let them snap shut) Watch the as they do while spraying the slides. Short bursts at a time.
Steve

More
28 May 2015 11:18 #674199 by justwannaridekz250
Replied by justwannaridekz250 on topic Problem with Carbs and reving
Hi and welcome! Sounds to me (and I could be wrong) like you have a sticky throttle cable. When you rev it, does the throttle grip take a while to return to it's normal position (where it idles normal)? It could also be that your carbs are out of sync too (again don't trust me on this as Im pretty new to motorcycles). The best fix for a sticky cable right now would just to swap for the new one you have and make sure you lube it before you install it. As far as syncing carbs, Im not too sure how to do that but here's an article that might help: ( www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to-carb-synching )

Hopefully I've helped some and good luck to you!

www.dimecitycycles.com

'05 TTR90
'08 CRF100F
'85 XL350R
'80 KZ250

Current projects
'85 XL350R -street tracker
'80 KZ250 -brat racer

-Gabe