83 1100 LTD

More
17 May 2015 14:50 #672525 by patterst
83 1100 LTD was created by patterst
Hello everyone! I'm thinking this is the most appropriate thread to post in, but if not I apologize. I just picked up a new (to me) bike, 1983 Kawasaki 1100 LTD. The guy I bought it off of pulled the airbox off and installed pod filters. It has a 4-1 header but still has its center stand! It's currently running rich and has some gas dripping from the left outside pod and smokes pretty bad when running. I'm not really sure if it's burning oil or not causing the smoke or if it's just from running so rich. When I first looked at the bike before I purchased it, the owner started it up, cracked the throttle a few times and ended up shooting some fire out the exhaust. I've done a little reading about these bikes and aside from addressing these issues, I was hoping to do something along the lines of an oil cooler system. It has 17,603 miles and appears to be a clean bike overall. It also sounds as though it has a misfire. When riding, it seems to flutter and lose power between 3000-4000 rpm but tends to grab and accelerate normally after about 4200 rpm. Haven't rode it more than 20 miles so far, picked it up a few days ago (needs new tires as the ones that were on it are bald). I did change the oil yesterday with a Kawasaki filter and Kawasaki 10w-40 4 stroke oil. The oil that came out was horrid, I've seen some grimy oil changes but there was a lot of chunks of I don't know what at the bottom of the pan I drained the oil into. The oil itself was quite dark and looked like it had been quite some time since the oil was change. I believe the guy I bought the bike off of only had it for a month and became strapped for cash. That's all I can think of at this point.

Issues summarized:
1. Excessive exhaust smoke
2. Gas dripping out of pod filter
3. Running very rich
4. Sluggish between 3000-4000 rpm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2015 15:17 #672531 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic 83 1100 LTD
Besides have an induction system problem, (probably from sitting too long and fuel turning into glue) I hate to say this but you might be needing to pull the top off that engine too.
Oil:
The parts that are chunky, most likely are from the cam chain tensioner(s).
Black smelly oil.... chunks... etc... = bad previous owner.
Broken bits or parts should never be in the pan or in your drained oil.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 May 2015 15:26 #672533 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 83 1100 LTD
He's right. The smoking could be fuel "washing out the rings" and could clear up after getting the floats to seal. I recommend all new owners check the valve adjustments due to the fact guys don't do it because it is work and costs money. While you're in there, you can peer down the cam chain shaft to see any damage. Best to catch it now. Pics are always helpful.
Steve

More
17 May 2015 20:07 #672575 by patterst
Replied by patterst on topic 83 1100 LTD
Current plan of attack is to take it to my local shop to have the carbs tended to; I'm not confident enough in my abilities to touch carbs. I figured I'll see what a cleaning/rebuild does for it. After that I'll move on to valves and adjust accordingly. Will keep you posted on progress.