another off idle acceleration stumble issue

More
05 May 2015 21:07 - 05 May 2015 21:07 #670833 by 60ratrod
81 kz1000m1 bs34ss carbs, dyna s kit, dyna 3 ohm coils, stock airbox, stock exhaust from a kz police that i found had the baffles removed, stock jets in carbs.

had an issue about 2 weeks with a stumble and found bad throttle shaft seals. put the seals on order and tore the carbs down, loosing one float needle and screwing up one pilot jet, and then setting the bodies to soak in berryman's dip. so i order the one missing needle and and 4 new jets(37.5 since that's what they had and it ran great with those jets).

once everything came and i got the carbs back together and bench sync'd, yes i measured the floats before putting the bowls back on, i got the carbs back on the bike and the stumble was still there, this time with an added popping from the exhaust. first thing i did since it was popping was check for vacuum leaks and found none. then i tightened the boot clamps a tad more and that helped with the pop.

after a second test ride i found that the acceleration stumble and exhaust pop was still there and found loose spark plugs as i decided to check the ignition. good volts at the coils, plugs looked great, coils and plugs worked together to give nice fat purlpish-blue spark. reinstalled and tightened the plugs and went back out. both problems are still there and might be worse.

one thing that i didn't do since it ran great at the end of the summer/early fall/occasional nice winter day when i dipped them was chase the pilot path throat nossles in the carb throats. should i yank the carbs and chase the pilot paths? also i used stabil everytime i filled up so the gas wouldn't go sour. but i did replace all of the o-rings.

Active Duty US Navy Aviation Ordnanceman Petty Officer First Class

81 kz1000m1 csr "Sarge"

81 Suzuki gs650g "Shelah"
Last edit: 05 May 2015 21:07 by 60ratrod.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 May 2015 21:29 #670838 by SWest

More
05 May 2015 23:18 #670844 by 60ratrod
Replied by 60ratrod on topic another off idle acceleration stumble issue
Fresh. I didn't add stabil the last time i filled, which was in late march. The only time either bike sees the sun is when i ride. Otherwise they stay in my garage which doesn't drop much below 50 if at all on the coldest days, so moisture getting to the fuel is a non issue

81 kz1000m1 csr "Sarge"

More
08 May 2015 09:00 #671123 by 60ratrod
Replied by 60ratrod on topic another off idle acceleration stumble issue
So would plugged idle circuit passages do what i'm encountering? it's what's making sense because running on a bench bottle i adjusted the idle air screws and the only one that affected how it ran was #4 when i ran the idle air screw all the way in. I'm going to pull the carbs again and chase the pilot passages since I didn't do it when i did the strip and dip on the bodied

81 kz1000m1 csr "Sarge"

More
09 May 2015 03:00 #671219 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic another off idle acceleration stumble issue
Am also thinking that the carb pilot circuits are not yet perfectly as-new clean.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: