Vent tubes

More
02 May 2015 18:21 #670448 by PK
Vent tubes was created by PK
Got a 1978 KZ 650 and pulled the carbs to clean up bowls and jets. I see the two left carbs have vent tube and the two left don't. In all the pics I can find on the net the vent tubes ate on the far right tube and the second one from the left. I don't want to brake them apart to put them in the correct place. My question is will they work ok the way they are?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2015 19:33 #670455 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Vent tubes
Hard to say how well the venting will work. I know you don't want to break them off the rack, but that's what you really should do. You can clean them up at the same time, and when you put them back on the bike you won't later wish you had corrected them while you had the chance. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 May 2015 20:37 #670461 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Vent tubes
That doesn't look right. Shouldn't #3 be in place of #2? If you do break them apart, that's what I would do. pretty shabby looking.
Steve

More
03 May 2015 06:33 - 03 May 2015 07:21 #670483 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Vent tubes
Assuming air flows thru the homemade fitting between #2 & #3, then it will probably vent. However, you'd need to verify that air does flow. My guess is someone put the carburetors back together wrong, realized his mistake, then jerry-rigged the thing. I would swap them back to the correct position.

Carb stuff. If you've never done carburetor work before, it's really not hard --- it seemed easy to me & I do mean easy. The same thing is done 4 times on a lot of stuff, and most parts only go back together one way, so it's hard to mess up. Use good fitting tools. I use 4 plastic divided lunch containers to keep the parts organized & I have a can of the good/professional Berryman's carb cleaner.

For practice you could do only the carb bowl stuff first, disassemble & clean the parts, then put it back together. If that seemed easy, then go ahead & do the complete job.
Last edit: 03 May 2015 07:21 by martin_csr.