1980 KZ750 E CV34 choke shaft spring fix

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
31 Mar 2015 20:28 - 31 Mar 2015 20:33 #666005 by DoctoRot
I have been having a hell of a time with these carbs. The spring which causes the choke butterflys to close was bent by the PO and would not give enough force to shut the butterflys when the choke was engaged. Figured I'd share my workaround, as this spring seems super wimpy even for this application.

I replaced the screw that is in the middle of carb 2 with a 30mm bolt. I added a nylon bushing, and just got the threads started, i did not tighten. You have to use a hex bolt here to be able to tighten this later when the carbs are assembled.

I then made a small bracket, drilled out to 5mm and notched for this bolt. I also drilled and tapped for a 3mm screw. the choke shaft on carbs 3&4 must be drilled and tapped for a 3mm screw as well. I trimmed this spring down to fit and assembled everything on the 3&4 carbs.

Install the carbs on the rack. at this point you can slip the aluminum bracket on the bolt you added and tighten. You can rotate this bracket to add tension if need be. The choke lever now firmly opens and closes the choke butterflies, with no binding. B)

Last edit: 31 Mar 2015 20:33 by DoctoRot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.