in line fuel filter

More
14 Mar 2015 06:11 - 14 Mar 2015 06:16 #664381 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic in line fuel filter

bluej58 wrote: I figure if the particles are small enough to get through the petcock screen then they will be small enough to pass through the carbs with out any problems :huh:

This is true to some degree for sure, but I suspect one problem is that even though most particles that pass through the screen will also pass through the carbs some of the particles will stick to carb internals and build up over time. Also, some particles may bypass the strainer around its central hole. Below are images (KZ650-C1 petcock) of the little screen tubes that sit on top of the petcock inlets and the strainer at the bottom of the petcock. Next to each to show the relative size of the holes is an eyebrow hair and a common straight pin. The holes in the strainer are small than those of the little screen tubes, but they are all pretty large compared to those in my Golan filter that filters down to 10 microns (.000392"). Ed

Attachment Filter.jpg not found

Attachment PetcockCupScreen.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Mar 2015 06:16 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
14 Mar 2015 18:12 - 14 Mar 2015 18:14 #664446 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic in line fuel filter
Thanks for taking one for the team Ed that hair looks stout :silly: very helpful for getting a good perspective on things.

How often do you clean your filter ?

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 14 Mar 2015 18:14 by bluej58.

More
14 Mar 2015 19:12 #664451 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic in line fuel filter
I've only had the filter on the bike for a bit over 3,000 miles, so I haven't cleaned it yet. I probably will do so before riding this year. I'll try to remember to take pictures when I do as it might be interesting to see if there's anything trapped in it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 Mar 2015 22:03 #664564 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic in line fuel filter
I use the (not so fancy?) chrome hose nipples at each end with a glass cylinder between them with rubber gaskets where they meet. I don't know the micron of the cylinder filter inside but it has worked for about 28 years. I clean it about 2 times per summer and it's good to go...I'll look the next time I'm at the parts store. It's true that you could get one that is to restrictive for a gravity flow system
Have never had a problem with vibration because each end is supported by the flexible fuel line(s)
I like Ed's filter except you cant see if crap is in the fuel, without tools?? The amount of crap that comes out of a station pump in some areas of the country is plain unbelievable .... :angry:
Lastly glass still kicks ethanol's ass :woohoo:
EZ

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Mar 2015 05:54 #664572 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic in line fuel filter
There's talk of doing away with it in our fuels. They've always known it was a bad idea. Loss of HP means more fuel consumption, etc. Trouble is, there's so much money involved. EPA is being neutered too. You don't hear about it on the news at night. Time to get those Graft hungry bums out.
Steve

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
16 Mar 2015 06:57 #664585 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic in line fuel filter
where have you guys found is the best location to put the inline filter, obviously after the petcock and before carbs, but my fuel line is only about 4" long, and is kinda bent in an "S": shape....

not really looking like i could get a filter on it, but i may be mistaken....

its on a 1980 KZ750h, 4 cylinder.

anyone got any pics of where they put the filters????

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Mar 2015 07:33 #664590 by SWest
Get some fuel line and make a loop. Find a place where it is relaxed and put it there.
Steve

More
16 Mar 2015 15:31 #664657 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic in line fuel filter

Randombeat wrote: where have you guys found is the best location to put the inline filter, obviously after the petcock and before carbs, but my fuel line is only about 4" long, and is kinda bent in an "S": shape....

not really looking like i could get a filter on it, but i may be mistaken....

its on a 1980 KZ750h, 4 cylinder.

anyone got any pics of where they put the filters????

I use a napa 3027 fuel filter. Yes I found the space from petcock to carb input to be a bit tight. Either the fuel line kinked, got in the way of the throttle cables, or the fuel line was so long in looped up under the tank preventing my tank from running empty on reserve. The long fuel line made my already small 4 gallon tank even smaller because it would not drain all the way. My solution was to put in a 90 degree brass elbow. So my set up is petcock, small length of fuel line, fuel filter, small length of fuel line, brass elbow, small length of fuel line and then the carb input.

I hope that helps.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Mar 2015 16:02 #664663 by SWest
With the 33's I had even less room to put in the filters. The wiring I will tidy up when I pull the tank again.
Steve

Attachments: