Removing carb assembly Z500 B -81

More
15 Feb 2015 11:31 #661682 by noratx
Removing carb assembly Z500 B -81 was created by noratx
Hi!

I have recently aquired a Kawasaki Z500 B -81, that will need a carb cleaning.
Now, according the haynes manual I got, it says I need to disconnect the carb slider arms, pulleys etc from the carb shaft.

I am starting to question this though.
I would prefer, if possible, to simply get the whole assembly out BEFORE removing each individual carburettor.
Is this possible? And if so, how?

Also, the screw on the right hand pulley seems to be somewhat damaged.
Seems like the previous owner has tried to unscrew it, but instead damaged the head.

Is there anyone of you who know the measurements of this screw, so that I can replace it when I manage to remove it. (This is one of the reasons I'd prefer to get the whole assembly out instead of each individual carburettor. Would make it so much easier to try removing that screw.)

Thanks for now
/Rickard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Feb 2015 15:54 #661705 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Removing carb assembly Z500 B -81
Your first mistake is the manual. The carbs come out as a set. Only things need to be taken off are the throttle cables. If you're going to clean them, do it as a set. Don't take them apart. Pics are a must for help here.
Steve
Oh yeah, a factory service manual too.

More
15 Feb 2015 16:10 - 15 Feb 2015 16:12 #661706 by noratx
Replied by noratx on topic Removing carb assembly Z500 B -81
A factory service manual is not easy to aquire, I have search high and low, both for pdf and paper ones. (You don't happen to have one? *wink*)

The haynes manual is what I have found so far, and a factory service manual for GPZ 400, 500, 550 and Z400 and 500 F.

The one I got is a Z500 B3.

As far as I have seen, these models are the same engine and carb assembly.
Some with slide carbs and some with constant depressed (?) carbs. (Mine is Teikei slides).
I'm not allowed to attach the PDF manual here, so in case it could be usefull in order to get the help needed, here's a public dropbox link.
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94318707/448...vice-Manual-Supl.pdf

I will go take some pics tomorrow, question is, are there any angels I should be extra aware of to take pictures from?
The help is much needed, just want to make sure I get good enough pics. :)

I am grateful for all help I can get. :)
Last edit: 15 Feb 2015 16:12 by noratx.

More
15 Feb 2015 16:16 #661707 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Removing carb assembly Z500 B -81
Click on the ARTICLES icon at the top, next click on TECHNICAL TIPS, now read Carburetor Cleaning 101 & 102, hope this helps.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Feb 2015 17:11 #661712 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Removing carb assembly Z500 B -81
Just a couple pics of the carbs at first. We all like to see the bikes so a few of as well can help get better feed back. Some bikes are worth putting money into, some aren't.
Steve

More
15 Feb 2015 19:25 #661728 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Removing carb assembly Z500 B -81
See following links courtesy of KZr Member loudhvx

General
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/index.html#home

Service manuals
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Mnls/Mnls.html

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Feb 2015 10:32 #661976 by noratx
Replied by noratx on topic Removing carb assembly Z500 B -81
Mopguy Thank you! :)
Patton: Wonderful, thanks! :)

Swest: I cought a pretty bad cold the other day and havn't felt good enough to go to the garage. WIll go and get some picks when I get better :)

In the mean time, I do have a few other pics, none that are showing much of the engine/carbs though :)
Attachments:

More
  • SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Feb 2015 17:01 #662000 by SWest

More
18 Feb 2015 17:26 - 18 Feb 2015 17:29 #662003 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Removing carb assembly Z500 B -81
As others have said, there is no routine reason to separate the carbs. Doing so often causes minor damage to hardware, shafts, and dust seals (that you can't easily get anymore). It may even cause the fuel pipes to start leaking.

Most things in the float bowls can be removed and cleaned, as well as the slides, and air screw passages. The throttle shaft should be left in place, along with the carb bodies. The choke shaft is not too hard to remove if you clean it first, and remove any corrosion before pulling it, but there still isn't a lot of reason to do that.

There are a few mods you can do to the choke system to make it more stable. The links are at the bottom of the TK22 carb page. A link to that is in my signature.

I suggest you download all of the manuals (in my signature or in Patton's link above). That way you can compare differences and maybe catch any errors you might find in one manual.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 17:29 by loudhvx.