Viton tipped float needle

More
10 Feb 2015 16:55 #661177 by TheDane
Viton tipped float needle was created by TheDane
Hi

I really hope there is here who can help me.

I have decided to get my bike 100% ready for the new season, and there are quite some things i have to handle.
I think i ´have found the most of the spare parts i need, but there are some thing i just cant seem to find for my bike.

The problem i'm trying to fix now is a very leaking caburetor #4.
I'm also going to renovate the pet cock (I suspect that there might be a leak into the vacum pipe). But i anyways want to be sure that the float valve is working perfectly.

My first problem is just that i cant seem to find anywhere where i could buy a Viton tipped needle and seat that would to my carburetor.

Do any of you know where i could find something that would fit?

I basically have no clue what could fit, when I'm searhing for it. I have only repaired my MC a bit, and this is actually goint to be first time I will open it myself. (A bit nervous and excited)

It is really cool to have found a site for my kind of bike. Here in Denmark I have only been able to find a few people who has KZ's, and havent really been able to get any great help from them.

Thank you very much and I really hope my English is good enough to be understood. And i appologize for all my writing mistakes I might have made.

Kawasaki
EngineKZ550A 1980
Frame KZ400J 1981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Feb 2015 17:50 #661181 by SWest

More
10 Feb 2015 19:38 #661203 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Viton tipped float needle

TheDane wrote: ...leaking caburetor #4....

Hello, TheDane, and WELCOME to KZR! :)

From what location is the gasoline escaping the carb? Overflow nipple? Float bowl gasket? Fuel pipe fitting? Into airbox? Out through pod filters?

Possible cracked overflow tube?

Existing float valve may often be restored to serviceable condition by thorough cleaning, and perhaps also dressing the needle's point and/or the seat orifice.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Feb 2015 22:40 #661231 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Viton tipped float needle
Never heard of a Viton tipped gas needle but sounds like a good idea. As for leaking overflow, you an fix it by polishing the needle tip dead smooth (even if it's steel) and the brass seat and adjusting the fuel level with a clear tube.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Feb 2015 06:57 #661262 by SWest

More
11 Feb 2015 07:32 - 11 Feb 2015 07:36 #661267 by mike1957
Replied by mike1957 on topic Viton tipped float needle

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout(): Argument #1 ($ItemID) must be of type int, string given, called in /home/kzride5/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 314. Please enable debug mode for more information.

More
11 Feb 2015 08:24 #661274 by Jonny
Replied by Jonny on topic Viton tipped float needle
For what it's worth, the gas needles in the Amal carbs on my Norton are viton tipped, They come like that as standard equipment, tho it could have something to do with how poorly made the original carbs were. In any case, they do a very good job, and a suppose could help out it you have a little wear in your seat etc....

In any case, I don't know the diameter offhand, or for that matter, the size you are looking for. But, if that might present a viable option for you, I'd be glad to pull a bowl off of one, and have a look for you.

Cheers,
Jon

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

More
11 Feb 2015 11:49 - 11 Feb 2015 11:51 #661292 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Viton tipped float needle

swest wrote: How would you polish the needle?
Steve

chuck it in a hand drill and polish it with #600 paper wrapped around a popsicle stick.

Wrap a layer of masking tape around the shank of the needle so the drill chick doesn't mar it.

You can also polish the brass seats same way. Take them off and wrap tape around the threaded end and gently set them in the drill chuck and snug up. Use a Q tip with brass polish to polish up the inside surfaces of the seat.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 11 Feb 2015 11:51 by bountyhunter.

More
11 Feb 2015 12:37 #661298 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Viton tipped float needle
For my 1988 KZ1000p I bought these.

www.mikesxs.net/product/48-5014.html

I'm not sure what bike you have, but don't try to find them by the bike make, model and year. Find them by the carburetor that is on you bike.

Here is a nice tutorial for Mikuni BS34 CV carbs,

www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_B...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

More
11 Feb 2015 14:17 #661316 by TheDane
Replied by TheDane on topic Viton tipped float needle
It is basically a mix of a KZ400J frame, and with parts from two KZ550's. The engine is from a KZ550-a1 as far as I can figure out. The engine # is KZ550AG0069xx, which I think means it is an A1.

I dont know exactly which model the other KZ550 was.

This whole job was done by the previous owner and the mechanic I got to fix it when i bought it. So unfortunately I don't know what parts are from what model on it. This is how it looks

Attachment 2014-05-0416.52.31.jpg not found

and a pic of each side of the carburetor.

Attachment 2015-02-1020.59.35.jpg not found

Attachment 2015-02-1021.04.06.jpg not found

The leak is coming from the overflow nipple. And i think there might come some frome the pet cock via the vacum tube.. witch is why i have already bought the things to fix it. :)

This thing with a viton tipped float needle is a thing my mechanic recommended. He has a KZ900 where it also leaked just a bit once in a while from the overflow nipple. He changed it ro a viton tipped needle, and hasn't leaked since.

I'm not sure what bike you have, but don't try to find them by the bike make, model and year. Find them by the carburetor that is on you bike.

As far as I've found out it is the standart Teikai K21 or K22 carb. But I cant find the difference between them, so I don't know which one it is. I can see that it says 1L 1 1302 on the side, but I havn't been able to find out what that means.

In any case, I don't know the diameter offhand, or for that matter, the size you are looking for. But, if that might present a viable option for you, I'd be glad to pull a bowl off of one, and have a look for you.

I really appreciate that. If you by any chance have the same carb, it would be a big help for me.

Kawasaki
EngineKZ550A 1980
Frame KZ400J 1981
Attachments:

More
11 Feb 2015 16:50 #661331 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Viton tipped float needle
This site might help

home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/TK22mainPage/TK22mainPage.html

Based on this site and your pics I would say you have Teikei TK-22 carburetors, No luck finding you viton tipped float needles. According to the above site you need Kawasaki part number 16030-1009, Float Valve Assy. Searching the following site...

www.jetsrus.com/needle_valve_float_bowl_...by_manufacturer.html

for part number 16030-1009 finds...

www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/KL_18_4621.html

but no viton tip.

Contact Jets-r-us. They have lots of vition tipped needles on the page above. Maybe they know of an equivalent.

I use viton tipped float needles on my KZ1000p and after I installed them I have never had flooding problems. I can leave the petcock on prime indefinitely, Not that I'm recommending that.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheDane