Gas in airbox

More
10 Feb 2015 11:31 #661161 by Djckay
Gas in airbox was created by Djckay
1980 KZ550A

Hi all,

So after a top end rebuild, running right, then having gas pour out from the overflow I pulled the carbs and replaced the jets and float valves, I used clear tube to set the float height. After a few short rides I noticed a loss of power. This morning I went out to go over a few things before a ride, and the was a ton of gas in the airbox. I mean like half full. I drained the gas and checked the float height again. All 4 carbs float height are normal. I cant smell the oil for gas in the crankcase as everything smell like gas at the moment, but the oil level is higher than normal and a lighter color so I suspect that the is gas in the oil. I know I will need to change the oil, and pull the carbs yet again. But before I do does anyone have any ideas of what is going on to cause this?

1980 KZ550A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2015 12:17 #661164 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Gas in airbox
If you have gas flowing into the airbox while the engine is off you have at least 2 problems.

First - your petcock is not operating properly. With the engine off the petcock should prevent fuel from flowing from the tank. If by chance you have a manual petcock rather than a vacuum operated one, do you shut it off when you shut off the engine as you should or if you have the stock vacuum operated petcock are you leaving it in the "RUN" position as you should? If so, you need to rebuild or replace the petcock because it is not working properly.

Second - assuming you set the fuel level correctly, at least one of your float valves is not closing completely or may be sticking open sometimes. Even if you replaced the float valves they can stick open if any crud from the tank gets in them. Do you have an inline fuel filter? If not, you should install one and then carefully clean the float valves to ensure they close all the way every time the fuel has reached the proper level.

One other thing to check is the overflow tubes in the carb bowls. These sometimes develop cracks. When they do fuel will flow from them even if the fuel level is set correctly and the float valves are operating properly. This seem unlikely in your case since there is sufficient fuel flow to have fuel enter the airbox, but it's worth checking while you have the carb blows off. With the carb bowl in hand, just fill it with liquid and see if the liquid leaks out the overflow. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Feb 2015 14:18 - 10 Feb 2015 14:19 #661168 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Gas in airbox
Sometimes the petcock's vacuum diphragm fails and fuel flows backwards down the vacuum line and into the carbs/airbox while the bike is parked. Something to check out anyway.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 14:19 by Nessism.

More
10 Feb 2015 19:42 #661206 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Gas in airbox
If not already done, fuel level should be checked by performing the clear tube test on each carb.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Feb 2015 21:20 #661224 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Gas in airbox

Nessism wrote: Sometimes the petcock's vacuum diphragm fails and fuel flows backwards down the vacuum line and into the carbs/airbox while the bike is parked. Something to check out anyway.

That would be my bet.
Steve

More
12 Feb 2015 20:45 #661444 by Djckay
Replied by Djckay on topic Gas in airbox
Thanks for the advice. It does have a vacuum operated petcock. I have performed the clear tube test on all 4 carbs and they showed normal float level. I know the overflow is working on the carbs as gas coming from the overflow is what prompted the carb rebuild. Does anyone have any idea as to how I would test the petcock?

1980 KZ550A

More
12 Feb 2015 20:52 - 12 Feb 2015 20:52 #661446 by 650ed
Since you have a vacuum operated petcock it should be easy to see if it leaks when the ENGINE IS OFF. With the petcock in the RUN position just put a catch pan under it and disconnect the vacuum line. If fuel comes out the petcock has a problem. If no fuel come out disconnect the fuel line from the petcock. If fuel comes out the petcock has a problem. Don't disconnect the fuel line from the petcock with the petcock in the Prime or Reserve position. Also - NO SMOKING or any open flames while doing the test. It's best to do this outside - just in case. ;) Ed

Last edit: 12 Feb 2015 20:52 by 650ed.

More
17 Feb 2015 08:32 #661853 by Djckay
Replied by Djckay on topic Gas in airbox
So I tried testing the petcock, and could not get gas out of the vacuum line, ordered a petcock rebuild kit from Z1E anyways. Figure it wont hurt nothing if there is no problem. In the mean time, would it be a dumb idea to plug the vacuum line and ride with the petcock on prime? Also all of the inline fuel filters I have seen have been overly large. Any ideas on where to find a small fuel filter? Thanks

1980 KZ550A

More
17 Feb 2015 10:57 #661866 by 650ed
If no fuel came through the vacuum line that is a good thing. That line never should have fuel passing through it. If you plug the petcock vacuum port be sure to also plug the vacuum port on the carb or the bike will run like crap. Then you should be able to run the bike on prime without a problem, BUT be sure to turn the petcock handle back to RUN whenever you park the bike with the engine off. The problem with leaving it on Prime when parked is that if a float in a carb doesn't fully close fuel will flow from the fuel tank into the carbs and possibly into the cylinders and corrupt the engine oil. Ed

More
17 Feb 2015 15:54 #661896 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Gas in airbox

Djckay wrote: ... Any ideas on where to find a small fuel filter? Thanks

Readily available at most motorcycle dealers, motorcycle repair shops, Z1 Enterprises, etc.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
21 Feb 2015 06:45 #662221 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Gas in airbox

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

More
21 Feb 2015 13:34 #662258 by 650ed
Here's a link that shows what I use; very small filter and super-fine filtering. Not cheap but will never need to be replaced since the stainless steel filter element can easily be cleaned and re-used. Ed

www.kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/59406...ne-and-filter#633243