Carburators

• skooterbum4real
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jan 2015 18:50 #659518 by skooterbum4real
Carburators was created by skooterbum4real
I will try this again.......
Hey all !! I hope everyone is surviving the winter......

My question is about the best carbs to run on my 1978 kz650 B2. This bike has set for over 15 years in a barn. It has less than 9,000 miles. I'm restoring this to a reliable good running bike. Right now the carbs on this bike are almost stuck solid. I'm sure they can be rebuilt and work fine, but is it worth it, when I have this other bike.......

Other bike is a 1982 kz650 H2 CSR. It runs, and the carbs are in decent shape. They most likely could use a basic rebuild, but no major parts would be needed with these. I'm also guessing any needed rebuild parts for these carbs would be easier to find, and be cheaper to buy.

Here's what I'm doing. I'm putting the electronic ignition from the 82 on the 78. Then I need to know which of these sets of carbs would be best for the 78. The 82 carbs or the 78 carbs ?? Would the 82 carbs be a direct fit onto the 78 ??

What do you think ??

1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2015 19:17 #659524 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Carburators
I would use the 1978 carbs. They should be Mikuni VM24SS carbs. The 1982 KZ650 would have come with CV carbs, and that means the diaphragms will be an issue. Clean the VM carbs and they should be good to go. Certainly there should be no need to replace any metal parts (jets/needles etc.) and the rubber bits are probably fine too, so it is un;likely that you need rebuild kits. You probably only will need carb bowl gaskets. Do not mix parts between carbs; parts wear together and should stay in their original carb bodies. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: skooterbum4real

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
24 Jan 2015 06:20 - 24 Jan 2015 06:27 #659555 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Carburators
I personally think the stock carbs will serve you better.

You could try soaking the 78 carbs in Pine sol for 24 hours that should loosen them up.
Take off the top caps, float bowls, floats and jets first.
You will have to still do some deep cleaning afterwards but it is amazing how much crud comes off with the dip.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 24 Jan 2015 06:27 by bluej58.

• skooterbum4real
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jan 2015 07:34 #659573 by skooterbum4real
Replied by skooterbum4real on topic Carburators
This is why I posted my question here. I knew I would get the proper advice and information !! Thanks for leading me in the right direction with my bike !!

I now have a set of carbs off of an 82 kz650 that I have no use for. Is there anyone from this forum that could use these ?? Or would I be better off listing them on EBay ?? I know they have some value, but no idea how much. I would rather sell them here for a little bit, and have one of the members here benefit from them than sell them to someone else.

1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Jan 2015 08:18 #659579 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Carburators
eBay is a crap shoot. The buyer can say not as described you have to pay return shipping, he gets his money back and doesn't send the carbs. If you're new, eBay will keep your money until the guy says it's OK. It's happening a lot. Keep the carbs for a while until you know you don't need them.
Steve