What jets to run, where to buy, and how many?

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Nothing professionally, only for fun...
More
13 Jan 2015 06:17 #658573 by Serpent7
I have a '79 KZ 1000st , and have currently a stage 1 kit on the carbs now. However, I now have the following mods... K&N air pods, 4 into 1 header, straight pipe (no baffle), Dyna S ignition, Dyna wires, and Dyna coils. I have 2 different sets of carbs. One set is the factory carbs (I believe Mikuni 28mm) with the pump actuator (I also have a pump actuator rebuild kit) and a Dyna stage 1 jet kit. The other carbs are a older set of 28mm Mikuni carbs without a pump actuator. I'm not looking to race it, or anything. I'd like it to run well without running lean if I happen to crack into the throttle once or twice... Running a little rich is better than running a little lean (in my opinion). Perfect would be nice, but I'm not setting myself up for failure.
How many jets, and what sizes would I need?
Where is a good place to purchase them from (by mail)?
Any ideas on where to start tuning them from once installed?

Thanks in advance... SS

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
79 Volkswagen Transporter
73 Volkswagen Thing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2015 08:08 - 13 Jan 2015 08:16 #658582 by Patton
Perfect would be nice...

Tuning manual slide carbs and CV carbs for ideal performance throughout the entire carb range is best achieved with fitment of the stock air box.

With pods on manual-slide carbs, tuning for ideal performance throughout the entire carb range is problematic.

With pods on CV carbs, tuning for ideal performance throughout the entire carb range is very problematic.

Reportedly, Dyna offers some tuning kits that are helpful toward getting pod-fitted carbs marginally closer to the ideal performance achievable with a stock air box. Which IMO is best-suited to those situations where using the stock air box is for whatever reason not a practical option.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 13 Jan 2015 08:16 by Patton.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Jan 2015 08:22 #658583 by SWest

Serpent7 wrote: I have a '79 KZ 1000st , and have currently a stage 1 kit on the carbs now. However, I now have the following mods... K&N air pods, 4 into 1 header, straight pipe (no baffle), Dyna S ignition, Dyna wires, and Dyna coils. I have 2 different sets of carbs. One set is the factory carbs (I believe Mikuni 28mm) with the pump actuator (I also have a pump actuator rebuild kit) and a Dyna stage 1 jet kit. The other carbs are a older set of 28mm Mikuni carbs without a pump actuator. I'm not looking to race it, or anything. I'd like it to run well without running lean if I happen to crack into the throttle once or twice... Running a little rich is better than running a little lean (in my opinion). Perfect would be nice, but I'm not setting myself up for failure.
How many jets, and what sizes would I need?
Where is a good place to purchase them from (by mail)?
Any ideas on where to start tuning them from once installed?

Thanks in advance... SS

You need a baffle in that collector or your top end will fall of. For the slide AKA VM carbs, I get my jets from my local Yamahe dealer. $2.99 as opposed to $6.95 from jetsrus and even higher. Will it idle and run in the low end? What do your plugs look like? Pics will help.
Steve

More
13 Jan 2015 13:12 #658610 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic What jets to run, where to buy, and how many?
You can tune either set of carbs to run perfect with pod filters and your pipe. It takes a LOT of patience, time, jets and the willingness to learn carb theory but it can be done.
My KZ650 has pod filters, 4 into 1 RC pipe, 810 cc big bore kit, GPZ750 cams and a ported head. I am currently running the stock VM24 carbs and they are jetted perfect. Starts easy, idles smooth, pulls hard, has no flat spots and runs perfect from sea level to 14,000 feet.
Like I said it can be done you just have to be very very patient. I would start with either set of carbs and use the 17.5 pilot jet, 122.5 main jets and the needle clip in the middle, then tune from there.

More
13 Jan 2015 14:55 #658618 by etbike3135
Replied by etbike3135 on topic What jets to run, where to buy, and how many?
Tuning made simple. Takes about 3 hours tops to tune carbs perfect.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serpent7

More
17 Jan 2015 08:13 #658891 by KzChop82
Replied by KzChop82 on topic What jets to run, where to buy, and how many?
Love it-
What does it do?
How does it work?
What does it cost?
Where to get the parts?

Clinton, NJ
Custom chopper, 1982 KZ 1000 M2 CSR engine, K&N Pod Filters

PICTURES AND GOPRO VIDEOS!! :
www.dropbox.com/sh/jipz3l8nhzr4jge/AABbm...OC3sqlhCSLxH5Fa?dl=0

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Jan 2015 12:35 #658910 by SWest
You have to weld a bung on the collector. I've thought about it too but couldn't justify the time and expense.
Steve

More
17 Jan 2015 16:59 #658920 by KzChop82
Replied by KzChop82 on topic What jets to run, where to buy, and how many?
Weld a bung onto what collector? What collector?
Is the mixture tested at the combustion chamber... or at the exhaust?
If this is an easy way to test the carbs- and if they are setup right- that would be great.
I run straight pipes with k&n pods and bs34 carbs- I've read some of the articles on adjusting the carbs- but it seems like my setup has no good precedent to be tested against.
Without having the know-how and proper prior knowledge- I feel like I'm at the mercy of the shop wrench and the cash register.
Being involved with salt-water aquariums all my life- these digital readout contraptions are worth their weight in gold!
If I could make one to tell me whether or not my fuel to air mixture is correct- that would be priceless as well.

Clinton, NJ
Custom chopper, 1982 KZ 1000 M2 CSR engine, K&N Pod Filters

PICTURES AND GOPRO VIDEOS!! :
www.dropbox.com/sh/jipz3l8nhzr4jge/AABbm...OC3sqlhCSLxH5Fa?dl=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serpent7