kz650 stalling after warm up

More
01 Dec 2014 22:01 #655121 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz650 stalling after warm up

gcphoto wrote: Just spent 20 minutes looking around for a clear tube tool and this is all I could find on z1.. www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...asaki&item=57001-208 . It's the same thing depicted in my service manual but seems pretty expensive for what it is at $70. Someone mentioned ebay but I can't find anything. I've never done it before but read the instructions. Alternately I can just get a basic piece of clear tubing, unscrew the drain screw and pop on the clear tube?

That's how I do it, jury rigged my own. I found a piece of small rubber fuel line that fits snugly inside the clear tube and also fits into the drain hole where the screw goes.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2014 06:42 #655233 by Grnole
Replied by Grnole on topic kz650 stalling after warm up
i am in stamford, so I am truly your neighbor.

I too am a novice with bikes. This is only my second bike, and the first one I am really managing on my own. I am decent with electrics and when I get really stumped I reach out to the boards, or my lifeline, my brother. If you rule out the floats and end up leaning towards diving into your ignition system, I can point you to a few vids I watched to help me feel more comfortable with the process. It is not that bad... and I called Z1 and they were totally cool --- sending me diagrams and everything I needed to know about the swap. I am also in agreement with valve clearances possibly being a culprit... and i am going to be checking mine out this winter, once i finalize my new garage.

Keep on wrenching. I would absolutely build a clear tube before spending $70. Check out this youtube guy I started to follow - he does checks his floats over a series of vids also does a few other things on a KZ---

i guarantee he is a member of the forum. But have not had the pleasure of saying thanks yet...

1980 KZ1000 LTD -B4
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1972 Honda CL350 (sold)

More
05 Dec 2014 11:11 #655416 by !Seymore
Replied by !Seymore on topic kz650 stalling after warm up
Did you miss part 2?? :woohoo:

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

More
05 Dec 2014 14:00 #655429 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz650 stalling after warm up
Just like the new Hunger Games..... always divide into two parts so there can be another sequel. :laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
06 Dec 2014 07:45 #655484 by gcphoto
Replied by gcphoto on topic kz650 stalling after warm up
I received my float level gauge from ebay yesterday. Looks great and should do the trick! I'm swamped with work right now so I hope to get to it in a couple weeks. I watched some videos on using a multimeter to check the coils.. ok I admit it doesn't look too complicated, haha.
Grnole.. let me know if you need a hand drinking beer while you adjust your valves. I'd love to help out with that. :cheer:

'78 KZ650 SR