Bad gas mileage.

More
08 Jun 2014 13:32 #635795 by Schmeck
Bad gas mileage. was created by Schmeck
Got my 79 750 twin road legal finally and been riding around. It has higher end uni pod filters with open exhaust headers. It has a baffle in it for back pressure because the bike will not run at all without it. I have a 2.4 gallon tank on it. Right now I have 32 miles on the bike and my tank is almost completely empty. I have 14 front and 32 rear sprockets. 60-65mph at 5,000 rpm on the highway. Won't go any faster than 80 and that's wide open.( don't need to be going 80 anyways lol ) . I do some city driving when I'm not on the highway but does open exhaust and pods really make mileage this horrible? I think my pickup truck gets better mileage :blink:

1979 kz750 twin -Soon to be roadworthy
1988 El250 engine in custom hard tail frame - collecting dust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2014 16:10 #635813 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Bad gas mileage.

Schmeck wrote: Got my 79 750 twin road legal finally and been riding around. It has higher end uni pod filters with open exhaust headers. It has a baffle in it for back pressure because the bike will not run at all without it. I have a 2.4 gallon tank on it. Right now I have 32 miles on the bike and my tank is almost completely empty. I have 14 front and 32 rear sprockets. 60-65mph at 5,000 rpm on the highway. Won't go any faster than 80 and that's wide open.( don't need to be going 80 anyways lol ) . I do some city driving when I'm not on the highway but does open exhaust and pods really make mileage this horrible?:

YES. I am riding that exact bike with stock air box and MAC exhaust and average 38 mpg in city, highway is probably about 50 - 55 mpg ballpark. With pods and open exhaust, you are probably so far off tune that you have to ride it with the throttle half wide open all the time just to get it to run. The gas is going out the tailpipe.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
08 Jun 2014 16:32 #635817 by Schmeck
Replied by Schmeck on topic Bad gas mileage.
Bike runs and idles perfect except for top speed. No half throttle all the time . Most of the time I give it alittle throttle unless I'm on the highway then it's 3/4 throttle at 65mph. I can push it up to 80 it just surprises me that with my gearing that it's at 5,000 rpm at 60-65mph. It doesn't run horribly out of tune , infact it drives smoothly . Just eats my gas fast. What can I adjust for better mileage? My plugs are black but have not fouled me yet. Maybe go up on a clip position? And does the idle screw effect highway speeds?

More
08 Jun 2014 16:35 #635818 by Schmeck
The bike has 155 compression in both cylinders cold. Went for a ride earlier but engine felt cold when I tested it hours later. It will sit and idle for however long till it runs out of gas lol . Like I said, it's just a monster on gas mileage . : /

More
08 Jun 2014 18:24 - 08 Jun 2014 18:24 #635834 by bountyhunter
Stock gearing and tires on a '79 750 twin will turn 5K RPM @ 70 mph. Your gearing is a shade lower than stock but that won't cut gas mileage in half.

I would wager the problem is that even if your throttle is only open a shade more than stock, it eats a lot more gas. If you look at the needle taper, lifting the slide even a bit opens the gas up a lot. When I cruise at 40 - 45 mph, my throttle is barely open which means I am running mostly off the pilot jet. If you have to open the throttle a bit and lift the slide, the main jet is kicking in and that sucks gas. Being off tune even a little shifts the operating point off and that can really eat gas.

The gas has to be going somewhere.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 08 Jun 2014 18:24 by bountyhunter.

More
08 Jun 2014 20:05 #635857 by Schmeck

bountyhunter wrote: Stock gearing and tires on a '79 750 twin will turn 5K RPM @ 70 mph. Your gearing is a shade lower than stock but that won't cut gas mileage in half.

I would wager the problem is that even if your throttle is only open a shade more than stock, it eats a lot more gas. If you look at the needle taper, lifting the slide even a bit opens the gas up a lot. When I cruise at 40 - 45 mph, my throttle is barely open which means I am running mostly off the pilot jet. If you have to open the throttle a bit and lift the slide, the main jet is kicking in and that sucks gas. Being off tune even a little shifts the operating point off and that can really eat gas.

The gas has to be going somewhere.

That makes a lot of sense.

More
08 Jun 2014 21:01 #635868 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bad gas mileage.
If not already done, would perform the clear-tube test on each carb to assure fuel levels are within specs.

And also sniff-test and examine the crankcase oil to check for possibility of gasoline contamination.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Jun 2014 21:11 #635872 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Bad gas mileage.
Carb sync wouldn't hurt either

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
08 Jun 2014 22:50 #635881 by bountyhunter

Patton wrote: If not already done, would perform the clear-tube test on each carb to assure fuel levels are within specs.

And also sniff-test and examine the crankcase oil to check for possibility of gasoline contamination.

Good Fortune! :)

+1 Never ignore the obvious...... that gas may be leaking past the float valves and hitting the ground or going into the crankcase.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Jun 2014 16:12 #635951 by Schmeck
I had it synced 2 weeks ago when I was messing with the carbs but maybe I did it wrong? . I will double check. I have head of a dry float level check that doesn't involve clear tubes as all I have is clear brake tube which doesn't do a good job. I'm sure the clear tube test has better accuracy though? Another question is has anyone else had issues with the needle underneath the choke. Pilot jet I think but mine doesn't like to stay in. In fact I had to replace one because it backed itself out( due to the twins vicious vibrations). I haven't addressed that issue yet cuz I'm not sure what to put on it . It needs to stay in but also be adjustable.

Thanks for helping also. Things go a lot quicker with advice from you guys. I'm sure other users think the same ,

More
09 Jun 2014 16:54 - 09 Jun 2014 17:01 #635954 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bad gas mileage.

Schmeck wrote: I had it synced 2 weeks ago when I was messing with the carbs but maybe I did it wrong? . I will double check. I have head of a dry float level check that doesn't involve clear tubes as all I have is clear brake tube which doesn't do a good job. I'm sure the clear tube test has better accuracy though? Another question is has anyone else had issues with the needle underneath the choke. Pilot jet I think but mine doesn't like to stay in. In fact I had to replace one because it backed itself out( due to the twins vicious vibrations). I haven't addressed that issue yet cuz I'm not sure what to put on it . It needs to stay in but also be adjustable....

There are several types of sync tools available, such as dial gauges, mercury tubes, and others.
An eyeball manual bench sync may be hit or miss, and it's mostly miss.
A poor sync can increase vibration at lower rpms.

The dry float level check is unreliable.
The relatively quick and easy clear tube test should be properly performed on each carb.
Clear plastic tube is inexpensive and readily available in different sizes to obtain the correct size needed.

The pilot jet isn't "adjustable" and should be tightened snugly enough not to vibrate loose.

Would assure that the choke plunger is staying down in it's closed position when the choke is OFF.
And also assure that the spring on the starter plunger isn't broken or missing.

The accessible exterior "adjustable" component on each carb is the pilot mixture screw which governs air-fuel ratio in the pilot circuit.
The pilot mixture screw is important toward smooth steady idle with strong pull-away and preventing popping from the exhaust on deceleration.
The pilot mixture screw should have a spring to help keep it from vibrating out of its set position.

Good Fortune!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 09 Jun 2014 17:01 by Patton.

More
09 Jun 2014 17:18 - 09 Jun 2014 17:20 #635955 by bountyhunter
Assuming you have the stock BS-38 carbs:

The pilot jets are in the top of the float bowl. You need a perfect fit screwdriver for blade thickness and width to get them out or tighten them. That's why so many are torn to shreds. Get a flatblade of correct blade thickness and grind the blade width to fit.

The stock pilot jet is 45, but 50 will run better. Type is BS30-96. Available many places. Start with pilot adjust screw about 2T out from full in.

The main jets are at the bottom of the float bowl under the drain screw. Stock is 125 but with straight pipes and pods, probably need much larger.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 09 Jun 2014 17:20 by bountyhunter.