Carbs get fuel *sometimes*

More
25 May 2014 16:43 #633963 by freakinbike
Replied by freakinbike on topic Carbs get fuel *sometimes*
Well, I took apart the petcock, then put it back together, installed it into the tank and sucked on the vacuum line and fuel started flowing. The only issue is, now if I take off the fuel line, fuel won't stop flowing through the petcock. But it will switch off if I turn it to reserve. It's making tuning the carbs a stinky mess.

1982 GPZ750, stock (for now..)
1973 VW Bus
Can life really get much better?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2014 20:16 #633983 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Carbs get fuel *sometimes*
Did you remove the petcock form the tank? You may have to do that to see what's going on with the reserve system. Since it will not stop flowing in normal mode, you may need a rebuild kit.

Was there a lot of rust? What was the condition of the two diaphragms and the main valve seal?

More
25 May 2014 21:27 #633998 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Carbs get fuel *sometimes*

freakinbike wrote: Well, I took apart the petcock, then put it back together, installed it into the tank and sucked on the vacuum line and fuel started flowing. The only issue is, now if I take off the fuel line, fuel won't stop flowing through the petcock. But it will switch off if I turn it to reserve. It's making tuning the carbs a stinky mess.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the petcock with the little handle in the Reserve position? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
25 May 2014 21:51 #634001 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Carbs get fuel *sometimes*
You need to set the floats using the clear tube method. Do a search for it in the forums you find instructions.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project