running rich

More
27 Feb 2014 18:30 #623578 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic running rich

Patton wrote: Would also sniff-test the crankcase oil and examine its physical quality, because the oil may have become contaminated (diluted) with raw gasoline from the overflowing carbs.

If so, don't run the engine anymore until the oil and filter have been changed and the overflow issue resolved.

Good Fortune! :)

Do this part first, then change the oil and filter.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2014 18:46 - 27 Feb 2014 18:47 #623582 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic running rich

koolaid_kid wrote:

Mark Stark wrote: 650ed the carbs have been rebuilt.

No disrespect intended, but in many cases that increases the likelihood of the floats being the issue. I picked up a set of carbs for cheap and my GPz for cheap for exactly the same reason: the floats were set incorrectly.

+1 !

There's really nothing much to "rebuild" on the 1979 KZ650 carbs. They are the VM24SS carbs. No diaphragms or other touchy stuff to speak of. So in "rebuilding" them, did someone screw up the float tangs or float valves? Maybe. I would check the fuel level using the clear tube method to see if they did. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 27 Feb 2014 18:47 by 650ed.

More
27 Feb 2014 18:50 #623583 by Mark Stark
Replied by Mark Stark on topic running rich
hey koolaid_kid! no worries. but I see your point! ill try the oil sniffin and oil change. hopefull that's the case. I just find it weird that the bike wont start with the choke fully on. sorry guys im just new to all of this.

1979 Kawasaki KZ650
Stark Industries

More
01 Mar 2014 01:35 #623700 by fastidiots
Replied by fastidiots on topic running rich
Just ran into this myself on a KZ750. carbs were just rebuilt, I checked and set floats, and bench synced the carbs. Bike fired up and ran real nice so I went for a test ride. Got about 3 miles away and the bike died from an idle and wouldnt restart...plugs flooded. I could pull the plugs and air out the cylinders and it would try to start once and then nothing (kick start only at this time). Finally pulled out the air filter and then it started and ran! Turns out the filter foam needed a good cleaning and now it seems to run fine!

82 KZ1000 J
76 KZ750 B1

More
02 Mar 2014 15:53 #623920 by fastidiots
Replied by fastidiots on topic running rich
just to update...rode my bike next day and still had the same problem. Bike has a cylindrical filter screen that had foam filter material put through the center and then folded back over both ends on the outside to put a layer of foam on both the inside and outside of the screen. I took the foam back off and cut it in half and put it back on just the outside of the screen. NOW the bike idles smoothly and runs great. No more loading up and running too rich.

82 KZ1000 J
76 KZ750 B1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Troyn

More
02 Mar 2014 16:20 #623926 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic running rich

fastidiots wrote: just to update...rode my bike next day and still had the same problem. Bike has a cylindrical filter screen that had foam filter material put through the center and then folded back over both ends on the outside to put a layer of foam on both the inside and outside of the screen. I took the foam back off and cut it in half and put it back on just the outside of the screen. NOW the bike idles smoothly and runs great. No more loading up and running too rich.

I sounds someone installed a home-made filter or tried to re-line an original one. I suggest you go ahead and buy a new filter element for the bike so you know it is filtering properly but still permitting proper air flow. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 Mar 2014 08:00 #624137 by Mark Stark
hey guys! thanks for all the good advice. i drained the carbs this past weekend. checked the spark plugs and noticed they were very black. cleaned them up and checked the spark gap. i just have to get a hotter plug and that should solve the gasoline smell.

1979 Kawasaki KZ650
Stark Industries

More
04 Mar 2014 08:01 #624138 by Mark Stark
also re adjusted the air screws to 1 1/2 turns

1979 Kawasaki KZ650
Stark Industries

More
14 Mar 2014 17:18 - 15 Jul 2014 05:55 #625192 by Troyn
Replied by Troyn on topic running rich
New air filter = good!

1983 kz750 ltd shaft, 4-cyl, stock everything :)
Last edit: 15 Jul 2014 05:55 by Troyn.