Carb rack is over flowing

More
27 Nov 2013 09:48 #614218 by e.dishong2
Carb rack is over flowing was created by e.dishong2
1983 kz750N2 spectre. I just got a carb that was in good condition off ebay. When I turn the petcock to the on position it starts spilling gass. It looks like the over flow between 1&2 and and mabe even between 3$4. But it may be leaking else were. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2013 10:08 - 27 Nov 2013 10:08 #614219 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Carb rack is over flowing
Likely due to an imperfectly functioning float valve, for whatever reason.

Is an in-line fuel filter installed?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Nov 2013 10:08 by Patton.

More
27 Nov 2013 10:27 #614220 by e.dishong2
Replied by e.dishong2 on topic Carb rack is over flowing
YEah, I have one installed, I did noticed on carb #1, the float vaule was not turned a little bit. Ill check that and see were that gets me, Thanks! any other ideas?

More
27 Nov 2013 10:33 #614221 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Carb rack is over flowing

e.dishong2 wrote: . . . noticed on carb #1, the float vaule was not turned a little bit . . . .

float vaule was not turned a little bit
-- Not sure what that means. :unsure:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Nov 2013 10:46 - 27 Nov 2013 10:48 #614222 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Carb rack is over flowing
This should be interesting..... please tell us more.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike
Last edit: 27 Nov 2013 10:48 by Cynjut.

More
27 Nov 2013 10:49 #614223 by e.dishong2
There is a flat spot on that round plastic piece that the diaphragm is attached too. I think its called the float. The flat side of it. Is so that the choke can open and close. When I said turned, I mean if your looking into the carb from the intake. Instead of that flat piece directly facing me, Its turned just a little bit, The choke can still function correctly as far as I can tell.

More
27 Nov 2013 11:14 #614226 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Carb rack is over flowing
Are you talking about part # 16126 in the link Cybjut posted above ? The piece thats attached to the rubber diaphragm ? Sometimes that can be put back in off centre and you will need to take the top off and centre it up. If that is a bit sideways it wont make the carbs leak. The indent in the rear of this piec is to allow the choke flap to go horizontal. The float is part # 16031 in the link above.

If the leak is between the carbs then you need to pin down where. Is it at the T junction in the fuel line when it enters the carbs or the little short fuel lines that connect the carbs together ? Or perhaps when you had the carbs apart you had problems getting the O ring # 11009 back in place on the float bowls. I am thinking that if the float valve #16030 was not seating correctly then the fuel would be coming out the overflow lines at the bottom of the carbs

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
27 Nov 2013 13:34 #614236 by e.dishong2
I was in too much of a hurry. I knew I should of took the bowls off and go throughout the whole carb. I belive I have narrowed it down to the o-ring around the bowls. The pictures I saw on ebay was of the rack with all the bowls and diaphrams off of it. So last night before I closed my shop I checked a few of the screws and a couple were loose Or maybe the screw #92009 is not closeing all the way also. Its really hard to tell. Its so much coming out its leaking off all around the carbs. I did put fuel lines on the over flow nipple and with the house pointed up the gas stops about 3 inches high. IS there supposed to be any gas in them two lines?

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
28 Nov 2013 05:57 #614274 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Carb rack is over flowing
Hurry is a very bad word around carbs. Also make sure to set the float level in all carbs on the bench. Are you calling the vents over flow hoses? The two nipples coming off the rail are vents and no gas should be in them. The lines coming off the bottoms of the bowls are overflow and should flow down under the bike and not up. I believe if you go into Articles and then Technical tips there should be a pretty good write up on carbs. Good luck.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
28 Nov 2013 14:55 #614308 by e.dishong2
Okay guys, I got the gas leak issue fix. I got the bike started, it seems to idle alright "I am not a bike mechanic by no means, I am very new to bikes and do not know everything I need to know about the motor/carbs" But it doesn't like to rev up. When I try to rev it up, I have to do it slowly or it will die, and even then it doesn't increases rpms smoothly. It will sputter and want to die. Then once it is at a higher rpm (2500-4000) it doesn't want to come back down right away. I also have gas in my oil? The oil is also burning on the exhaust at the bottom of the bike. Im not sure how it is getting there. Sometimes it will smoke out the exhaust and sometimes it don't. What in the hell is going on? Could all this be to having my gas/air ratio not right? I would really like to have someone on the phone who could help out. I can post a video of the bike doing what it is doing

More
28 Nov 2013 15:25 #614312 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Carb rack is over flowing

e.dishong2 wrote: Okay guys, I got the gas leak issue fix. I got the bike started, it seems to idle alright "I am not a bike mechanic by no means, I am very new to bikes and do not know everything I need to know about the motor/carbs" But it doesn't like to rev up. When I try to rev it up, I have to do it slowly or it will die, and even then it doesn't increases rpms smoothly. It will sputter and want to die. Then once it is at a higher rpm (2500-4000) it doesn't want to come back down right away.

sounds like a vacuum leak

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
28 Nov 2013 15:58 #614315 by e.dishong2
That sounds about right too. I have some make shift plugs right now on all the vacuum lines, because I am using a manual petcock. So currently I have no vacuum lines hooked up. I have the vacuum line from the emissions control thing under my tanked capped. And all 4 ports on the carb rack are plugged. That is all I have done as far as vacuum is concerned. Do I have it correct from what Ive stated? What should I check?