Engine Not firing, suspected carb issue

More
11 Aug 2013 20:47 #600906 by emptypond
Replied by emptypond on topic Engine Not firing, suspected carb issue
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIt's the Dyna S ignition, with the black magnetic rotor that replaces the points:

the black rotor in the picture.

I have verified the spark on all cylinders, but possibly, I'm timing it wrong. I have tried timing it different ways both statically, as the bike doesn't stay running long enough for me to use a timing light. I tried timing 1-4 to the "T" mark, without advancing the assembly and I tried timing to the "F" mark, by hand moving the rotor to complete the spark. Since I've been playing with that all day, checking and re-checking, I've thrown the battery on the tender for the evening (it's a brand new battery) and I can't say for sure if the 1-4 at "T" works better than hand advancing when the mark is on "F". Hopefully that makes sense... I appreciate all your input!

81 kz750 frame, with an 83 kz750 engine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Aug 2013 20:52 #600909 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Engine Not firing, suspected carb issue
1-4 should fire when at the "F" mark, without any advancement. So don't turn the rotor against the spring tension.
Even when cranking, you should be able to use your timing light to verify the base setting.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
11 Aug 2013 21:47 - 11 Aug 2013 21:48 #600924 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Engine Not firing, suspected carb issue

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2013 21:48 by koolaid_kid.

More
12 Aug 2013 20:17 #601071 by emptypond
ok, so this makes no sense... I figured out a way to hold the clutch lever so I can use the timing light and hit the ignition button as I'm working on this all by myself (hence the test light, versus the timing light).

My issue is this now- I get spark visually on ALL 4 cylinders, with the wire and plugs out and I'm physically looking at the plug firing. When I put them back in, and hook up the test light, the light only works on cylinder #2, which is the only cylinder that was working before. I'm thinking maybe this is a ground issue? It's not the coils, as I switched them around and the same thing happened, and all four spark plugs spark when outside the bike. I have all new wires, all new plugs, and a DYNA S ignition. What could this be???

More
12 Aug 2013 21:11 #601082 by koolaid_kid
Try this. Pull all the plugs out again and run the same test, but have the light connected to each wire, one at a time, while you run the test. Does each plug that sparks also light the light?

1983 GPz 750
The following user(s) said Thank You: emptypond

More
12 Aug 2013 21:18 #601084 by emptypond
No, sparks, but no light on those cylinders.

More
12 Aug 2013 21:29 #601088 by koolaid_kid
If you have sparks but the light does not light, you probably have a defective inductive pickup on your light. If you can, borrow a light from someone else and rerun the tests.

1983 GPz 750

More
12 Aug 2013 21:58 #601098 by emptypond
It's odd, because one cylinder is sparking and the light works on that one, and only that one. could it be it's not picking up the strength of the spark? I should probably move this thread to the electrical section too...

• Motor Head
  • User
More
12 Aug 2013 22:02 #601101 by Motor Head
Would you have resistor spark plugs, and resistor caps, maybe resistor wires? Any more than one piece in your ignition with resistors is incorrect and will lower the spark intensity.
Also what Voltage is measured across the battery terminals, then across the coil primary terminals? Same? Or is there voltage drop?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
12 Aug 2013 22:10 #601105 by emptypond
I have suppressed wires (Dyna), with the caps on the spark plugs and the 3ohm green dyna coils, with the dyna s ignition. My voltmeter is broken and I haven't picked another one up yet.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
12 Aug 2013 22:10 #601106 by Motor Head
Spark Plug #?

More
12 Aug 2013 22:29 #601112 by koolaid_kid

emptypond wrote: It's odd, because one cylinder is sparking and the light works on that one, and only that one. could it be it's not picking up the strength of the spark? I should probably move this thread to the electrical section too...

Please do not double post. You will get conflicting messages. We will continue helping you here.

1983 GPz 750