Engine Not firing, suspected carb issue

More
13 Aug 2013 21:18 #601301 by emptypond
Replied by emptypond on topic Engine Not firing, suspected carb issue
I honestly have no idea how to translate that. I cannot get any readings on the coils, but I fired and I actually have blue sparks. I really have no friggin idea and this isnt getting anywhere. I might as well give up.

81 kz750 frame, with an 83 kz750 engine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2013 21:19 #601302 by JR

emptypond wrote: ...........................
battery- 12.7 (probably need a new battery, but I just bought this one 3 days ago)
I couldn't find clear instructions as to how to test the regulator.

If 12.7 means 12.7 Volts then that's good. With bike ignition switched off the battery should show about 12.3 V and about 12.7 V or so at idle going up to a max of about 14V at 4,000 rpm. If that's the case then your alternator output and regulator should be fine. If you need to troubleshoot the entire charging system then see kzrider.com/filebase/search_result
Regarding testing the coils you can download the 750 shop manual here mbsween.bike-night.com/kz750l3/manual.html courtesy of mbsween a fellow member of KZR

Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
13 Aug 2013 21:24 #601303 by emptypond
yes, 12.7 volts, 12.3 with ignition on

More
13 Aug 2013 21:31 #601305 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Engine Not firing, suspected carb issue
Now start the engine and observe the voltage. You should be around 12.5 to 12.7V at idle. Now slowly rev up the engine and watch the voltage. It should steadily increase to around 14V at around 4000 rpm.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
13 Aug 2013 21:35 #601306 by emptypond
the engine doesn't make it to rev, it dies out before that. The sparks get weaker as I continue to crank 3-4x for 5-10 second intervals. This to me, seems like reason enough that the stator is not good, but I"m not an expert. Any thoughts?

More
13 Aug 2013 22:15 #601307 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Engine Not firing, suspected carb issue
O.K., you have multiple issues here.
First, you say it is a new battery yet voltage drops from 12.7V to 12.3V when you switch on the key.
Second, it should run off the battery for quite a while without a charging system at all, especially a new battery, yet it refuses to rev.
Third, the carbs used to overflow until you took them apart and (I am assuming) you sprayed them out with carb cleaner.
Are all these statements correct?

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
13 Aug 2013 23:04 #601323 by emptypond
All these statements are correct. I did have the ignition of for a while when the voltage dropped from 12.7-12.3. Just ignition, no cranking. Opene the carbs, cleaned them, no overflow issue, even when set & left in prime. Timing light DOES work fine, tried it on my other bike, without a problem. So it seems like there is a major drain on the battery when I crank it over , as the sparks go from blue, to yellow and the spark gets weaker as the battery drains. Which would also seem like a charging issue. I've replaced everything electrical except for the regulator and stator.

Oh, the engine does get gas, but does not seem to ignite.

More
13 Aug 2013 23:05 #601325 by emptypond
Except on cylinder 2 for a short period of time until the bike stalls out.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Aug 2013 23:08 #601326 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Engine Not firing, suspected carb issue
While there are tests you can do on your charging system before getting it running. You should get it running first. The charging system is not going to operate while cranking the engine. It needs to be running.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
13 Aug 2013 23:24 #601329 by emptypond
I understand that, which is what my goal is to do... My 1st problem seems to be that I'm not getting enough spark... And I've gone through everything and replaced everything that has to do with spark. I guess I'll bring cart it to a shop, cuz I haven't the slightest idea as to what else to do. Everything seems to be testing out, an everything is brand new, but it doesn't work right

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
14 Aug 2013 00:05 #601336 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Engine Not firing, suspected carb issue
As for your spark issue, the battery should be good if when you charge it, it reads 12.7 after resting.
The voltage Will go down as you have the key On, Crank it etc. Thats normal. If the spark is Blue to start out with on all 4 plugs, and the coils/ plug wires are on right, base/ static timing is close, you have compression, then you need the right air fuel mixture for it to burn.
So I know you have worked on the carbs, but it still may lead back to them as to why it won't run. Will it fire/ run briefly if you add some gas directly to the rear of the carbs, with a sprayer? Just a few squirts.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
14 Aug 2013 00:30 #601342 by emptypond
I tried that with starter fluid, not gas, and got backfire out of the carbs. There was no filters on it when I did that. I will try it with a spray of gas tomorrow. It smelled like gas inside the cylinder 1&4. Maybe it's too rich to fire? My father hasn't put much work into the bike before he passed, but he had had the carbs jetted to 135 mains and the bike didn't seem to run right back then. I just purchased some 120 and 122s from jetsrus. I think starting from a baseline would be the best thing for this. I'll see what I can get done tomorrow.