KZ won't idle and surges on throttle

More
28 Jul 2013 18:26 #598744 by FootDragger
KZ won't idle and surges on throttle was created by FootDragger
This Kaw is about to be rolled into the ditch for the city to dispose of.

1984 KZ700a1. This thing road pretty good when I last rode six-years ago. Started up easy and had power. I haven't messed with anything between then and now.

So, since it sat, I cleaned the carbs. Gave them a long bath and blew 120psi through every last opening. I can blow freely through each with my own breath and I know where the channels lead so I can tell there is a strong stream coming out the other end. And if it's not strong, they're at least even between each carb.

I've done this six-times now and I still have this problem!

When I try to start it, it won't start with the pilot screws any less than 4 whole turns out! If I turn them in any degree, I need the choke to start, but once it does start it surges to 7,000rpm and will not come down! Half choke, full choke and everything in-between, it either dies or surges.

When I can get it to sit around 1,000rpm by finessing the idle adjust and mixtures, I hear a very distinct knock in one or two cylinders. Hard knocks that shake the concrete beneath me.

I'm using all stock parts.
The diaphragms have NO microscopic holes and they're seated correctly in the grooves.
The slides move up and snap back down freely, no resistance.
I've sprayed all of the boots on both sides of each carb with a heaping dose of WD40 to find a vacuum leak, nope!
The ports on the top are plugged or going to the recirculator regulator thing.
Needles are set to second from top groove.
The floats are all equal and are not over-filling. I set them according to the KZ manual. About 3-4mm below top of bowl.
Cam chain tension was set.
Valve clearance was checked cold.
Cam timing is spot on.

Please save this thing from the heap. Either I'll fall in love with it if it works out, or I'll have zero hard feelings watching it flip over in a ditch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2013 18:53 #598751 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ won't idle and surges on throttle
Using the choke to start a cold KZ engine is normal. What are you using for air filtration? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 Jul 2013 18:59 #598754 by FootDragger
Replied by FootDragger on topic KZ won't idle and surges on throttle
I know that some bikes need choke, but no matter what I do, using choke causes it to surge straight to 6-7k. If I push it in a little it just knocks and dies.

I'm getting a pop from the carbs now and then too. When I pull them off, the boots going into the engine are soaked with fuel!

I'm using the stock setup with a newly purchased air-filter, since my last one disintegrated when I removed it. All boots are snug and again I checked for vacuum leaks.

Thanks.

More
28 Jul 2013 21:24 #598778 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic KZ won't idle and surges on throttle
I know you don't want to hear this but if it ran good when you parked it and now it doesn't it is going to be your carbs. Did you happen to store it for 6 years with gas still in the carbs and tank? If you did then they are still clogged, I know you said you cleaned them a lot but you missed something.

More
28 Jul 2013 22:52 #598796 by FootDragger
Everything was thoroughly drained and let evaporate for the day. No chance of the crap turning into varnish. I never let fuel sit in it before and at no time did it sit for more than a day without getting some highway time.

What could it be that's causing such an issue?

More
28 Jul 2013 23:05 #598805 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ won't idle and surges on throttle
For reference, if not already done --

Would also assure that the timing advancer is properly functioning, and not sticking or hanging due to rust or corrosion.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
28 Jul 2013 23:10 #598809 by Patton

More
30 Jul 2013 21:06 #599120 by FootDragger
OK I've blown through the carbs several times and the channels are clearly free of obstructions.

Where is the advance on this thing? It's an 83 and uses a CDI. I don't see anything around the spark unit that seems to be like an advance...

More
30 Jul 2013 22:48 #599140 by Patton

FootDragger wrote: ...1984 KZ700a1....

FootDragger wrote: ...It's an 83 and uses a CDI. I don't see anything around the spark unit that seems to be like an advance...

At some point in the various model lines, Kawasaki replaced the manual timing advancer with an electronic timing advancer.

I don't know which advancer is fitted to the bike at hand. One way to tell would be to remove the point cover and look through the timing window to see whether or not there's a manual timing advancer.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
30 Jul 2013 22:53 #599143 by Patton
If a vacuum operated petcock is fitted, would assure that it's not allowing gasoline to run down the vacuum hose.

Easy enough to rule out such possible issue -- cap/plug the vac nipple at the carb that usually supplies vacuum to the petcock. Then test run with the petcock in Prime position.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
30 Jul 2013 22:57 #599144 by FootDragger
Running with a gravity remote tank and all of the vacuum lines are plugged.

It seems there is no advancer here at all! I was really hoping that that was the issue, now I'm boned.

Check valve clearances and cam timing as well. Crap. Looks like it's off to a dishonorable grave, ole bird.

More
31 Jul 2013 00:49 #599162 by kzgeoff
Replied by kzgeoff on topic KZ won't idle and surges on throttle
Not sure if this applies to your bike, but does it have a fast-idle screw? If so, then check out Loudhvx's write-up about fast-idle problems here:

Loudhvx Fast-idle modification

When I read the first sentence on his write-up, it sounded like the same problem that you described.

Hope that helps...

1982 KZ550 A3
1971 R5 350