KZ won't idle and surges on throttle

More
31 Jul 2013 00:54 #599164 by FootDragger
Replied by FootDragger on topic KZ won't idle and surges on throttle
Thanks mate but I'm dealing with CV carbs here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2013 16:46 #604659 by FootDragger
Ok here's where I stand now.

I bench sync'd the carbs again, not even sure how they became unsync'd. That cured the surging.

Now the thing just won't idle.

With choke open, it maintains about 5k rpm. Cut the choke and it will go to about 600rpm, make a very rough concrete-shaking knock a few times, then die.

I can maintain idle at 1,500rpm with the throttle cracked, but to get this idle with the idle adjustment screw, it would surge the second I touch the throttle because it has to be opened so far.

Anything less than 1,500rpm and I get the floor-shaking knocks! Like a hammer slamming into the head...

Otherwise it sounds great when rev'ing above 1,500rpm. Why won't the bastard survive below 1,500?

Thoroughly checked for vacuum leaks and am using the original filter and all other original hardware. All vacuum ports are plugged!

More
03 Sep 2013 17:20 #604667 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic KZ won't idle and surges on throttle
I will say this again you have a dirty set of carbs. Your idle circuits are still glogged up. I know you said you have made sure they are clean but your symptoms are telling me they are still dirty

More
03 Sep 2013 17:43 #604678 by FootDragger
When I blow into the slow jet with an air compressor, I get a STRONG stream through all three of the holes at the top. I can clearly see carb cleaner being sprayed from each of the three holes.

I'm starting to suspect the ignition since it's knocking so incredibly hard.

Is it possible that the electronics are stuck in full advance somehow?

How do I check the pick-up coils? They seem to have a little bit of surface corrosion.

Would a bad CDI possibly cause it to miss and cause these symptoms?