1980 kz440 running lean.

More
08 Jul 2013 13:46 #595551 by flint
1980 kz440 running lean. was created by flint
Tried looking up older threads to see if anyone has the same issue but, everyones problems are different. Here's the chase, the 440 is still rocking the cv's and runs amazing. (In my little experience, running great means you are about to burn down.) This thought process may have saved this little motors life. Pulled the plugs and they are SCREAMING white. I'm not a fan of rushed projects which is the single carb conversion with the makuni vm34. So in the meanwhile I would love some info on how to richen up using the cv36 (if memory serves 36?). Any input on this matter will result in excellent homemade cookies being mailed to you! (Maybe not cookies but a recipe for some awesome ones anyways) Thanks.

Attachment image_2013-07-08.jpg not found

I found out on this ride.

one piece at a time

1980 kz440 ltd a-1 (bobber thing)
1980 kz440 d-1 (stripped down scooter)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
08 Jul 2013 14:43 #595556 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic 1980 kz440 running lean.
Cookies! Sweet!

Flint, first thing you need to do is determine WHERE it is running lean... idle? mid range? top end, WFO? Once you have determined this by doing plug chops, we can help you determine what part to richen up. For example, if it's running lean at idle, look at your pilot jet or mixture screw. If it's on the top end, we'll look at main jet size. Good luck! Paul

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD
The following user(s) said Thank You: flint

More
08 Jul 2013 14:59 #595558 by flint
Replied by flint on topic 1980 kz440 running lean.
Thanks Paul for getting back quickly. At sitting idle the plugs are brown ( good ). At mid it's getting a hint of white (not to concerning to me). Wide open=white. I assumed main jet and checked for clogs/debris but, found none. A buddy at where I work suggested drilling the holes. (Precision parts and a drill seems like a bad idea). I asked the local shop about different main jet sizes for the cv's and his face looked like I just asked him where babies come from. Needless to say local shop stinks for older bikes. And while I was checking for main jet clogs/debris I didn't get the size. But, ill get them later today. Thanks again.

one piece at a time

More
08 Jul 2013 15:03 - 08 Jul 2013 15:07 #595560 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1980 kz440 running lean.
What air intake components are fitted?
Stock air box with filter? Without filter?
Pods? Paper? Oiled fabric? Oiled foam?
Stacks? Nothing (intake side of carb exposed to open air?)?

What exhaust system is fitted? Open meg? Straight pipe without muffler? With in-pipe baffles?

If owner-adjustable, is the ignition timing set correctly?

Is the timing advancer functioning? (May be viewed with timing light to watch it quickly move back and forth as rpm is varied by bv blipping the throttle.)

If the advancer is frozen or sticking, it may require lubing (weight arm pivots), or both cleaning and lubing.

Is there a "racing idle" (failure of rpm's return to "tick-over" speed when throttle is closed), which indicates an air leak whereby outside air is ingested into the fuel mixture being supplied by the carb, resulting in a lean condition.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 08 Jul 2013 15:07 by Patton.

More
08 Jul 2013 15:26 #595563 by flint
Cheap emgo pods, timing and advancer are all set up as per the maintenance Manuel. Exhaust was cut right behind crossover. The bike came out of a junkyard with the exhaust done that way. So I'm not making a drag bike and I am no seasoned mechanic. My thoughts on the matter was as follows. "Wow this runs awesome. Better check the plugs. Man those are white. I need more fuel! Curious if a bigger main jet would fix that?" And then a final thought "Were could I buy some bigger main jets for the CV's?" Thanks again.

one piece at a time

More
08 Jul 2013 15:51 - 08 Jul 2013 15:57 #595564 by flint
6sigmajetkit.com seems to be the ticket for my problem. Let you all know in a week or two!

one piece at a time

Last edit: 08 Jul 2013 15:57 by flint.

• slayer61
  • User
More
08 Jul 2013 15:58 #595566 by slayer61
Flint,
assuming everything else is good and you find out what mains you have now, have a look at www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_street/kawasak..._KZ440_1980-1983.htm and see if you can't find a couple of sizes larger than you have and order them up. jetsrus has always provided me with a good product and service. Paul

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
08 Jul 2013 16:18 #595569 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1980 kz440 running lean.
Would expect problematic tuning on KZ440 with pods, open/modified exhaust, and CV carbs.

A major difficulty is achieving correct mixture throughout the entire carb range, which has proven to be an elusive objective.

A proper size pilot jet, plus correct mixture adjustment, might provide borderline acceptable performance at lower throttle positions.

A proper size main jet might provide borderline acceptable performance at high throttle positions.

A proper size jet needle -- good luck with figuring that out -- might provide borderline acceptable performance at mid-range throttle positions.

Am uncertain as to what might result from also changing the throttle slide cut-away.

In any event, ideal functioning of the KZ440's CV carb is largely based on intake characteristics provided by the stock air box and filter.

That said -- and boo on the pessimism -- here's hoping for a successful application with a jet kit, as there are KZ440 riders searching for tuning remedies with pods.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• slayer61
  • User
More
08 Jul 2013 16:39 #595575 by slayer61
Patton,
all you say is true... tuning with pods and hack-sawed short exhaust can be a BASTARD on CV equipped bikes, but flint doesn't mention any of those problems :blink: maybe he's already got the rest of it figured out and is willing to share his secret with the rest of the world! Paul

More
08 Jul 2013 17:02 #595579 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic 1980 kz440 running lean.

flint wrote: Cheap emgo pods

Dump them wire mess pieces of crap.
They block the air bleed holes.
Either K & N or Uni,they do not block those holes.
Use Sigma6's jet kit,they are the only ones.
You need some sort of muffler, chopped pipes are not a power gain,you will just piss off the neighbors.
As for 2 into 1 intake manifolds,read the forums,people are selling them.
Why? Maybe they don't work as they thought they would and are still having trouble jetting.
Gluing pieces together from the hardware store never did impress me.
Not trying to be harsh, just brief and to the point.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

The following user(s) said Thank You: flint

More
08 Jul 2013 17:12 #595580 by flint
Paul, Patton,
The bike runs great. And the cv carbs would most likely skull F me if I was to continue running them but, as I said I have the solution to them by running the makuni vm34 with the one into two manifold. I just don't want to visit another junkyard for a motor with who knows what issues after I burn this one down. So just to get me another month or so on the road I wanted to richen the poor little motor up. I know pods are not the fan favorite but, this bike came without stock air box so cheap got me on the road. It's been a fun project and only have $300 in the bike for battery, random parts and paint oh and that includes the bike. High speed is about 92 and its rapped out. I just had to gut one motor into another case (1980 gears and side covers onto a 82 belt drive). But, mechanically minus the carb issue it is a very sound machine.
Paul,
I will look into jetsrus.com. Thanks you two.

Attachment image_2013-07-08-2.jpg not found

Junk yard special

one piece at a time

Attachments:

More
08 Jul 2013 17:28 #595582 by flint
Rex,
A member in Idaho (about the same elevation as me) is swearing by the mikuni setup. And I do plan on getting this bike to a more "road" friendly bike. Muffler... Yup! Plan for the two into one setup. I just want to enjoy the rest of summer and then get the bike pretty this winter. Already have the uni filter for the new setup just don't want to build manifold yet. It does sound awful but, thanks to terrible mechanics and Harley's my neighbors love me! Give me another winter and she'll be nice.

one piece at a time