Danger's Ongoing Carb Thread

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
07 Jul 2013 21:43 #595449 by danger_bandito
Danger's Ongoing Carb Thread was created by danger_bandito
I've had so many issues with the carbs now, I'm just going to create this one thread instead of posting a million of them every time I have an issue.

Here's the skinny.

I first removed my carbs from my kz440-a2, which had been sitting for 18 years. (Since mid to late 95)After cleaning thoroughly, and rebuilding with carb kits, (new needles, o-rings, etc) I put them back on the bike and got it to run for 30 or-so minutes.There were some small issues with the rpms refusing to lower after reving, but nothing too dramatic. A bit of an overflow issue was rectified with advice from Ed, and the next day, I went to start it. Under half choke, it started ajd reved to about 5k. I let it run for about 5 minutes or so, and took the choke off. That's when it bogged, died, and refused to start again.In my excited haste, I had forgotten to install an inline fuel filter, and noticed massive asstons of junk in my float bowls and determined that the jets must have been clogged again. Also, after inspection and draining, I found rust in my gas. I just recleaned the carbs yesterday, and am planning on putting them back on the bike (with a fuel filter) very soon.

I will keep posted on the matter.

As always, thank you for any and all advice in advance!!!

As much as I agree with the term "YOLO," I equally hate it.
1981 KZ440LTD-A2 - "Calamity"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2013 21:53 #595451 by Haybus
Replied by Haybus on topic Danger's Ongoing Carb Thread
Rust in your gas? I would fix that first. A filter is of course a remedy, but eventually it will be like trying to drink rocky road ice cream through a straw. The peacock is a great place for rust and dirt to hide too, recommend a rebuild while you're addressing the tank.

Alan

1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

More
08 Jul 2013 00:12 #595484 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Danger's Ongoing Carb Thread
+1

You need to get the tank cleaned up first, then rebuild the petcock (since it's letting all that rust through, the filter on the petcock is probably shot).

There are lots of ways to clean a tank, including vinegar, CLR, and Oxalic Acid. I'm a fan of a handful of drywall screws, shaken vigorously for a couple of minutes, followed by the acidic agent of your choice. I'm agnostic on which you use, but one of these for 24 hours will usually do the trick (after you knock the 'chunky' rust loose with the screws). When you are done, you can go straight to gas, or use one of the many tank lining systems. My favorite is Caswell Plating's system. It will even fix pin holes (like the ones you are likely to create by doing something crazy like filling your tank with drywall screws :-) )

Once the tank is clean, just keep following gravity until you get done cleaning the overflow tubes.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
08 Jul 2013 15:09 #595561 by danger_bandito
Replied by danger_bandito on topic Danger's Ongoing Carb Thread
Thanks for the advice, guys!

The only thing preventing me from attempting a self clean on the tank, is the overwhelming amount of overapray on the inside. Seems whoever painted this thing didn't wanna cover the top cap. I haven't even looked at the petcock. :(

How much (round-about) do professional cleanings and sealings run?

More
08 Jul 2013 15:18 #595562 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Danger's Ongoing Carb Thread
Is preservation of the existing paint finish on the tank exterior a consideration?
If not, many radiator shops offer a boil-out acid clean and internal seal, after which the tank will need to be re-painted.

Where preserving the existing finish is desired, there are several methods to clean the interior without damaging the exterior finish.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
08 Jul 2013 15:58 #595565 by danger_bandito
Yes, sir, it is. The tank and battery covers were painted a custom pearl white by the PO's brother... Who passed about 10 years ago...

As a side note. I checked the spark plugs, and they were just a little bit white. I have the idol mix screws turned out 2-1/4 turs, as stated in my manuel. Should I turn them out just a smidge more? It isn't very much build-up at all, considering I had it running for half an hour...

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
08 Jul 2013 18:59 #595594 by danger_bandito
I also neglected to mention that I've been doing all of this without the filter and housing. (Didn't have one)

More
08 Jul 2013 20:59 #595605 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Danger's Ongoing Carb Thread
Clean the gas tank and re-clean your carbs they are still clogged.

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
09 Jul 2013 14:53 #595702 by danger_bandito
The carbs are cleaned and assembled. My float bowl o-rings needed a trip to the freezer after heating up and stretching, but gave me little problems. I still need to clean the tank and aquire sealant for it.

My question now, is this; With no air filter or houaing, the bike (with stock jets amd needles) is running just very slightly lean. Woupd throwing pods on the carbs richen it up at all? It's gotta be better than nothing, I assume.

More
09 Jul 2013 14:58 #595704 by Cynjut
Yes, properly oiled and cleaned pods will increase the vacuum in the throat of the carb, bringing mixture marginally richer.

1977 KZ-1000 A1

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
09 Jul 2013 15:44 #595712 by danger_bandito
Thank you sir!

Any suggested brands? Ed says that emego pods block the intake to the diaphragms...

More
09 Jul 2013 16:01 #595713 by Cynjut
If you're going to go with pods, K&N would be where I'd start. There are other filters that looks the same, but don't get as close to the original airbox as the K&Ns do. Note that if you change to a high-performance exhaust and pods, you WILL need to rejet your carbs. If you just change one or the other, you probably won't, but keep in mind that the carbs for these bike are particular.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: danger_bandito