Jetting for Velocity Stacks

More
30 May 2013 19:24 #589979 by Tcarsten
Jetting for Velocity Stacks was created by Tcarsten
Ok so I rebuilt my 82 KZ750 twin and took out the air box and out in Velocity Stacks. I ordered a jet kit from 6 sigma. Installed there kit and the bike is running idling and has throttle from idle to 1/4 after that the bike dies.
The main jets they gave me are 130 and 136 both jets have the same response. I also have 132.5, 135, and 137.5 main jets. I have one spacer under the needle raising it, I have tried 2 but get no change.

any help would be very appreciated hopefully i didn't miss anything.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2013 19:49 #589983 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Jetting for Velocity Stacks
Good luck tuning those CV carbs with no airbox. You may want to read the article in the link below. Pay special attention to the last 3 paragraphs. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/585949-po...-a-free-lunch#585949

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
30 May 2013 20:19 - 30 May 2013 20:19 #589985 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Jetting for Velocity Stacks
You can try pulling the choke to see if it makes past 1/4 throttle better or worse. If better, you need bigger main jet, if worse or no change, you likely need smaller main jet.

Edit - although I tend to agree with Ed on the CV carbs.
Last edit: 30 May 2013 20:19 by DoubleDub.

More
30 May 2013 20:58 #589992 by Tcarsten
Replied by Tcarsten on topic Jetting for Velocity Stacks
Yea I have heard all about CV carbs
"good luck kid your gonna need it"
"have fun with that you will be jetting for the rest of your life"

I think im really close i can get it past 1/4 with out the choke just cant do it fast.
I was told to cut the springs in the slides to get quicker throttle response. Is this true?

More
30 May 2013 21:04 #589993 by crh
Replied by crh on topic Jetting for Velocity Stacks
You can tune those carbs to work with stacks as long as you have a jet kit it's not that bad to do. I've done dozens of them on Suzuki, Kaw & Yamaha. The gain isn't going to be anthing to write home about but IT IS WORKABLE.

I haven't used or even heard of that particular jet kit. Do they include new needles & are they adjustable with clip grooves in them?

If yes, lift them a full clip position [clip down to next lower groove] then see how it responds.

Every DynoJet, K&N & Factory Jet kit I've installed has worked quite well.

More
30 May 2013 22:23 #590016 by Tcarsten
Yea the kit did not come with an adjustable needle just spacers to go under the needle. They say they will help me with what ever I need to get it running to where I am happy, but they have sent me one email to my 5 in the past 3 days, that is why I turned to everybody here to see if I could get some help. Im gonna trey another spacer under the needle

More
31 May 2013 00:27 #590039 by Tcarsten
If I was to buy the Mikuni VM carbs what size or how do I measure for them?

More
31 May 2013 07:04 - 31 May 2013 07:05 #590059 by crh
Replied by crh on topic Jetting for Velocity Stacks
I would say their jet kit isn't worth buying. The needle is the most critical part of the kit. It is the very reason you buy a kit. Contact DynoJet and see if they make a kit for that model. Ask them specifically if their kit includes new needles.

34mm VM or RS carburetors would be what I would use if I was swapping out carbs completely. I don't know and highly doubt if Sudco or anyone else has a read to bolt on set of carbs for that bike.

You might look into other kits if any are available. You might see if Holeshot.com had anything for it. If nothing is available the best move would be to bolt the airbox back on it and enjoy your riding season....
Last edit: 31 May 2013 07:05 by crh.

More
22 Jun 2013 11:28 #593486 by Tcarsten
Just an update Bike is running great. I sent back the shitty 6Sigma jet kit, DO NOT EVER BUY from this guy he is an asshole and not helpful in fixing problems. Anyway I ended up using a 125 main jet with a spacer under the needle. I am still looking for adjustable needles not having any luck. I have been riding it finally for a couple of days now and am excited its back on the road, I just need to keep the ash out of the carbs from all the wild fires around me here in CO.

Thank you to anybody who helped and gave suggestions

Here is a picture

Attachment IMG_1593.jpg not found

Attachments: