Make pods have the performance as an airbox?

More
25 May 2013 22:03 #589195 by vernons
Replied by vernons on topic Make pods have the performance as an airbox?
what i liked back in the 80's was ramflow air filters.. they have built in velocity stacks like stock air box... and i think look a lot better than pod's... looks and performance.. not available in usa anymore... but did a lot of research and found them still available at lynxcorp.com australia
i bought 2 sets for my bike's!! about same price as name brand pod's.. 165.00 per set shipped..
all i would use in the old day's... and all i'll use now thanks to the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2013 04:19 - 26 May 2013 04:21 #589225 by KraZyRIDER
Replied by KraZyRIDER on topic Make pods have the performance as an airbox?
loudhvx wrote:

Ok, but I'm not sure what you mean by "easier to jet".

...most people will admit when jetting for pods, that they pick up in one area, but lose a little in another. Most spend a lot of time and never get perfection. Stacks don't seem to suffer the same fate. They're just not as finicky.

Also, inside the airbox, the boots have cups that take air from the central filter location. That is, the air for the outside carbs come directly across the paths of the inside carbs. If anything, the airbox is much worse if we are worried about one carb scavenging air another carb.

...none of that matters. Once inside the tubes, or velocity stacks, the air is flowing in one direction, straight into the carbs.

It would be interesting to put stacks on with a wideband for comparison to pods alone and see what happens. Around here, I won't be running without some sort of filter though. There's always someone cutting concrete.

...they do make filtered velocity stacks. I think Dime City has them. (dimecitycycles.com)

Mean Green Speed Machine!
1979 KZ 650-C3 (Cafe Project)
1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C
Last edit: 26 May 2013 04:21 by KraZyRIDER.

More
26 May 2013 04:24 #589226 by KraZyRIDER

vernons wrote: what i liked back in the 80's was ramflow air filters.. they have built in velocity stacks like stock air box... and i think look a lot better than pod's... looks and performance.. not available in usa anymore... but did a lot of research and found them still available at lynxcorp.com australia
i bought 2 sets for my bike's!! about same price as name brand pod's.. 165.00 per set shipped..
all i would use in the old day's... and all i'll use now thanks to the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!

...sweet! They look good!

...how much jetting did you have to do?

1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

More
26 May 2013 10:10 #589243 by vernons
Replied by vernons on topic Make pods have the performance as an airbox?
when rick from old school carbs rebuilt my carbs about a yr and half ago.. requested he jet them for 4-1 header and stock air box.. with these ramflow's you have no surging as is normal with pod's..
bike seems to be doing great where he pre jetted the carbs...plugs not running to lean..
lynxcorp was great to deal with... all was handled throug emails and paypal... took about 10 day's to get the filter's from australia.. if you need any more info on the ramflow's let me know..

More
26 May 2013 13:13 #589261 by KraZyRIDER

vernons wrote: when rick from old school carbs rebuilt my carbs about a yr and half ago.. requested he jet them for 4-1 header and stock air box.. with these ramflow's you have no surging as is normal with pod's..
bike seems to be doing great where he pre jetted the carbs...plugs not running to lean..
lynxcorp was great to deal with... all was handled throug emails and paypal... took about 10 day's to get the filter's from australia.. if you need any more info on the ramflow's let me know..

...sounds great. I'd be interested for future projects. :)

1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

More
26 May 2013 15:02 #589274 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Make pods have the performance as an airbox?
I believe K&N also makes a dual core are filter.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project